This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Tobias "Toby" Ragg|
|Portrayed by||Brian Glenny (1928 film, as Tobias Wragg)
Ken Jennings (original 1979 Broadway cast)
Neil Patrick Harris (2001 concert)
Manoel Felciano (2005 revival)
Edward Sanders (2007 film)
James McConville (2012 London Revival)
Iwan James (2012 Ysgol Gyfun Rhydywaun)
Tobias "Toby" Ragg is a fictional character who appears in various adaptations of the story Sweeney Todd.
In the penny dreadful The String of Pearls, Tobias Ragg is the apprentice of Sweeney Todd – a barber who murders his customers. Sweeney Todd has him committed to a lunatic asylum after Tobias finds proof of Todd's guilt and decides to contact the police. He eventually escapes, is involved in Todd's arrest, and as the story ends goes into the service of Johanna's husband-to-be Mark Ingestrie. Tobias Ragg was also the young apprentice of Todd in the 1936 film version of Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street.
In the Stephen Sondheim musical Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street, Toby is the apprentice of Signor Adolfo Pirelli, a barber who was once an apprentice of Todd. Pirelli pretends to be Italian, and sells some fake potions for hair, made of "piss and ink". Toby is taken in by Mrs. Lovett after Todd kills Pirelli because they don't know what to do with him. Toby becomes deeply attached to Mrs. Lovett, thinking of her as a surrogate mother; when he discovers that Todd have been killing customers for Mrs. Lovett to bake into meat pies, however, he goes insane with horror and shock. After seeing Todd kill Mrs. Lovett, a vengeful Toby emerges from the sewers where he was hiding and slashes Todd's throat with his own razor.
In the stage musical. Toby is portrayed as a mentally handicapped adult; Ken Jennings, who originated the Broadway role, was 31 on opening night, and Neil Patrick Harris was 27. In the 2007 movie, he is a child, portrayed by 14-year-old Ed Sanders.
In the 2013 novel Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street, Tobias is a minor character, a young orphan wrongly imprisoned for murder and rape, later freed by Inspector Baxter.
- John Singer played Tobias in the 1936 film version of Sweeney Todd.
- Ken Jennings originated the role of Tobias in the original Broadway performance of Sondheim's musical in 1979.
- Michael Staniforth played Tobias in the 1980 London Production.
- Neil Patrick Harris played Tobias in the 2001 concert version of the musical.
- Manoel Felciano played Tobias in the 2005 revival of the musical.
- Edmund Bagnell played Tobias in the 2005 Revival tour.
- Edward Sanders played Tobias in the 2007 film.
- James McConville played Tobias in the 2012 London revival.
- Kyle Brenn played Tobias in the 2014 New York Philharmonic concert.
In the musical Tobias Ragg has only one solo number, "Not While I'm Around", which he sings to Mrs. Lovett. He does sing various other songs with other characters, including:
- "The Ballad of Sweeney Todd (Prologue)" (with Company)**
- "Pirelli's Miracle Elixir" (with Todd, Mrs. Lovett and Company)*
- "Tooth-Pulling Sequence" (with Pirelli)**
- "God, That's Good" (with Mrs. Lovett, Todd and Company)*
- "Parlour Songs" - "(Tower of Bray)" (with Beadle Bamfort and Mrs. Lovett)**
- "Not While I'm Around" (With Mrs. Lovett)
- "Final Scene" (with Todd and Mrs. Lovett)*
- "The Ballad of Sweeney Todd (Epilogue)" (with Company)**
(* Edited for 2007 film)
(** Cut from 2007 film)
- Profile, imdb.com; accessed August 20, 2014.
|This article about a fictional character is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|