|Birth name||Tobias Sammet|
21 November 1977 |
|Occupation(s)||Musician, songwriter, producer|
|Instruments||Vocals, keyboard, bass guitar|
|Associated acts||Edguy, Avantasia, Revolution Renaissance , Ayreon|
Tobias Sammet (21 November 1977) is a German musician, singer, songwriter and music producer best known for being the founder the Rock Opera Project Avantasia and singer and primary songwriter of the Heavy Metal band Edguy.
Sammet founded Edguy in 1992 with schoolmates. Under the musical influence of AC/DC, Freddie Mercury (Queen), and Helloween, the typical power metal sound of his band, in which he mainly acts as a singer and frontman, emerged.
After several tours and chart placements with Edguy, Sammet founded his all-star project Avantasia and released a metal opera under this name. Initially planned as a once-in-a-lifetime studio project, he launched Avantasia again in 2006 and since then he regularly produced concept albums and rock operas. When he was offered the evening program of the main stage with Avantasia at the Wacken Open Air in 2008, he decided to put his side project on stage. Since then, he has regularly toured North and South America, Asia and Europe with Edguy and Avantasia.
In 2011, readers of the Japanese Burrn Magazine ranked him best songwriter after he had released the two albums The Wicked Symphony and Angel Of Babylon simultaneously. The albums featured guest appearances by Klaus Meine, Eric Singer, Jon Oliva and Michael Kiske and contained 21 songs that had been solely written by Tobias.
During a headliner show of the band Edguy at the Bang Your Head Festival in 2012, Sammet fell off the stage and broke his nose and several ribs. Despite these injuries, he sang the entire set of the concert before being treated in hospital.
Tobias Sammet sold more than three million records, played 12 world tours in more than 40 countries, had numerous chart placements and played concerts at all major festivals (including 10 shows at the Wacken Open Air).
- Savage Poetry (1995)
- Kingdom of Madness (1997)
- Vain Glory Opera (1998)
- Theater of Salvation (1999)
- The Savage Poetry (2000)
- Mandrake (2001)
- Burning Down The Opera (2003)
- Hall Of Flames (2004)
- Hellfire Club (2004)
- Rocket Ride (2006)
- Tinnitus Sanctus (2008)
- Fucking with Fire (2009)
- Age of the Joker (2011)
- Space Police: Defenders of the Crown (2014)
- Monuments (2017)
- Avantasia - Single - (2000)
- The Metal Opera (2001)
- The Metal Opera Part II (2002)
- Lost In Space Part 1 (2007)
- Lost In Space Part 2 (2007)
- Ayreon vs. Avantasia - Elected (2008)
- The Scarecrow (2008)
- The Wicked Symphony (2010)
- Angel of Babylon (2010)
- The Flying Opera (2011)
- The Mystery of Time (2013)
- Mystery of a Blood Red Rose (2015)
- Ghostlights (2016)
- Rhapsody of Fire – Rain of a Thousand Flames – 2001
- Shaaman – Ritual – "Pride" – 2002
- Freedom Call - Eternity - 2002
- Aina – Days of Rising Doom – "Flight of Torek" – 2003
- Rob Rock – Holy Hell – "Move On" – 2005
- Ayreon – Elected – "Elected" – 2008
- Revolution Renaissance – New Era – 2008
- Oliver Hartmann – 3 – "Brothers" – 2009
- Bruce Kulick – BK3 – "I'm the Animal" – 2010
- H.E.A.T – Freedom Rock – "Black Night" – 2010
- Hansen & Friends - XXX : 30 Years Of Metal – "Making Headlines", "Stranger In Time" – 2016
- Ayreon - The Source - as The Captain - 2017
- Bispak, Cewek (12 May 2010). "Interview with Tobias Sammet". Cewek Bispak Paha Mulus. WordPress.com. Retrieved 3 April 2014.
- "Interview: Tobias Sammet from Edguy". New-Transcendence. 31 March 2014. Retrieved 3 April 2014.
- "Tobias Sammet: Avantasia". tobiassammet.com. Retrieved 8 May 2017.
- "EDGUY Frontman Falls Off Stage At Germany's BANG YOUR HEAD!!! Festival". BLABBERMOUTH.NET. 2012-07-15. Retrieved 2017-05-15.
- "Guest Musicians". New Ayreon Album. Retrieved 29 December 2016.