He was born in Schaffhausen, and was active in Schaffhausen, Strasbourg and Baden-Baden as a wall and portrait painter. He made a great number of drawings for woodcuts (Bible scenes, allegories, etc.) which were published by the printer Sigmund Feyerabend in Frankfurt am Main, and Bernhart Jobin in Strasbourg.
Stimmer followed Hans Holbein the Younger, but developed his own mannerism. Among his wall paintings remain the "House zum Ritter" in Schaffhausen, although this was actually much restored and changed.
- Hans Lieb: Tobias Stimmers Geburt und Tod, in Schaffhauser Beiträge zur Geschichte, vol 67, pages 255-262, 1990.
- He was not born on April 17, see Lieb 1990.
- In the old style.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Tobias Stimmer.|
- Tobias Stimmer in the German National Library catalogue
- Pictures of the House zum Ritter in the Schaffhausen city archives
- Mannerism article, Columbia encyclopedia