Tobu 500 series
|Tobu 500 series|
A 500 series EMU in February 2018
|Manufacturer||Kawasaki Heavy Industries|
|Built at||Kobe, Hyogo|
|Entered service||21 April 2017|
|Number built||24 vehicles (8 sets)|
|Number in service||24 vehicles (8 sets)|
|Formation||3 cars per trainset|
|Line(s) served||Tobu Skytree Line, Tobu Urban Park Line, Tobu Isesaki Line, Tobu Nikko Line, Tobu Utsunomiya Line, Yagan Railway Aizu Kinugawa Line, Aizu Railway Aizu Line|
|Car body construction||Aluminium|
|Car length||20,000 mm (65 ft 7 in)|
|Width||2,870 mm (9 ft 5 in)|
|Height||4,035 mm (13 ft 2.9 in)|
|Doors||1 sliding door per side|
|Traction system||TM-16 (190 kW) x 8 per set|
|Electric system(s)||1,500 V DC|
|Current collection method||Overhead line|
|Track gauge||1,067 mm (3 ft 6 in)|
The Tobu 500 series (東武500系 Tōbu 500-kei), branded Revaty (リバティ), is an electric multiple unit (EMU) train type operated by the private railway operator Tobu Railway on limited express services in Japan since 21 April 2017. Eight three-car sets (24 vehicles in total) were built by Kawasaki Heavy Industries.
The trains were built by Kawasaki Heavy Industries, with exterior and interior styling overseen by Japanese industrial designer Ken Okuyama. The driving cabs at each end of the three-car trainsets includes an automatically extending gangway connection to allow trains to be coupled or split en route.
The trains are branded Revaty (リバティ), a name derived from the English words "Variety" and "Liberty".
|Service name||Between||Line(s) used|
|Revaty Kegon||Asakusa - Tobu Nikko||Tobu Skytree Line - Tobu Nikko Line|
|Revaty Kinu||Asakusa - Shin-Fujiwara||Tobu Skytree Line - Tobu Nikko Line - Tobu Kinugawa Line|
|Revaty Aizu||Asakusa - Aizu-Tajima||Tobu Skytree Line - Tobu Nikko Line - Tobu Kinugawa Line - Yagan Railway Aizu Kinugawa Line - Aizu Railway Aizu Line|
|Revaty Ryomo||Asakusa - Tatebayashi||Tobu Skytree Line - Tobu Isesaki Line|
|Skytree Liner||Asakusa - Kasukabe||Tobu Skytree Line|
|Urban Park Liner||Asakusa - Omiya/Nodashi||Tobu Skytree Line - Tobu Urban Park Line|
|Urban Park Liner||Omiya - Unga||Tobu Urban Park Line|
The exterior livery consists of "champagne beige" with "forest green" and "future blue" (Tobu's corporate colour) highlights around the windows.
The fleet of three-car sets are formed as follows, with two driving motor ("M") cars and a non-powered trailer ("T") intermediate car.
|Numbering||MoHa 50x-1||SaHa 50x-2||MoHa 50x-3|
Tobu Railway officially announced initial details of the new trains on 22 April 2015. In April 2016, Tobu announced that the trains would be used on through services between Asakusa in Tokyo and Aizu-Tajima in Fukushima Prefecture via the Yagan Railway and Aizu Railway Aizu Line from spring 2017.
- Kusamachi, Yoshimasa (22 April 2015). 東武鉄道、新型特急「500系」2017年春導入へ…分割・併合運転に対応 [Tobu Railway to introduce new 500 series limited express trains in spring 2017 - To allow coupling/splitting en route]. Response (in Japanese). Japan: IID Inc. Archived from the original on 24 April 2015. Retrieved 22 April 2015.
- 東武 新型特急車輌500系の愛称名「Revaty」に決定 [Brand name "Revaty" chosen for new Tobu 500 series limited express trains]. Tetsudo Hobidas (in Japanese). Japan: Neko Publishing Co., Ltd. 27 October 2016. Archived from the original on 27 October 2016. Retrieved 27 October 2016.
- ２０１７年４月２１日（金）ダイヤ改正を実施！ [Revised timetable to be introduced on Friday 21 April 2017] (PDF). News release (in Japanese). Japan: Tobu Railway. 18 January 2017. Archived from the original (pdf) on 19 January 2017. Retrieved 19 January 2017.
- 東武鉄道500系 [Tobu Railway 500 series]. Japan Railfan Magazine (in Japanese). Vol. 57 no. 674. Japan: Koyusha Co., Ltd. June 2017. p. 80-84.
- 東武鉄道 新型特急用車両500系の愛称は”Revaty”に決定 [Tobu Railway: New limited express trains to be named "Revaty"]. Tetsudo Daiya Joho Magazine (in Japanese). Vol. 45 no. 392. Japan: Kotsu Shimbun. December 2016. p. 72.
- 東武鉄道の新型特急車両「５００系」が２０１７年春より野岩鉄道・会津鉄道へ乗り入れます！ [New Tobu 500 series trains to inter-run on Yagan Railway and Aizu Railway from spring 2017] (pdf). News release (in Japanese). Japan: Tobu Railway. 21 April 2016. Retrieved 21 April 2016.
- 東武鉄道500系が甲種輸送される [Tobu 500 series delivered]. Japan Railfan Magazine Online (in Japanese). Japan: Koyusha Co., Ltd. 4 December 2016. Archived from the original on 5 December 2016. Retrieved 6 December 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Tobu 500 series.|
- Tobu press release (22 April 2015) (in Japanese)
- Kawasaki Heavy Industries news release (22 April 2015) (in Japanese)
- Ken Okuyama Design news release