Tobu 6050 series
|Tobu 6050 series|
Set 6151, October 2013
|Number built||66 vehicles (33 sets)|
|Number in service||62 vehicles (31 sets)|
|Formation||2 cars per trainset|
|Operator(s)||Tobu Railway, Aizu Railway, Yagan Railway|
|Line(s) served||Tobu Skytree Line
Tobu Nikko Line
Tobu Kinugawa Line
Aizu Kinugawa Line
|Car body construction||Steel|
|Car length||20 m (65 ft 7 in)|
|Doors||Two pairs per side|
|Maximum speed||110 km/h (70 mph)|
|Traction system||Resistor control|
|Electric system(s)||1,500 V DC|
|Current collection method||Overhead wire|
|Track gauge||1,067 mm (3 ft 6 in)|
The Tobu 6050 series (東武6050系 Tōbu 6050-kei) is an electric multiple unit (EMU) train type operated on "Rapid" services by the private railway operator Tobu Railway and connecting Aizu Railway and Yagan Railway in Japan since 1985.
The 6050 series design was created from 1985 by rebuilding former 6000 series EMUs dating from 1964 with new steel bodies. The trains were required to satisfy fire resistance regulations applying to the long tunnel on the Aizu Kinugawa Line ahead of the start of through running operations from 9 October 1986.
Trains are painted in "jasmine white" with "sunny coral orange" and "purple ruby" lining.
The fleet of 33 two-car sets is formed as shown below.
- The Mc cars are each fitted with one scissors-type pantograph. (Sets 6153-6156 and 6173 have two pantographs)
- Yagan Railway set (6050-100 series) cars are numbered 6110x and 6210x.
- The sole Aizu Railway set (6050-200 series) cars are numbered 61201 and 62201.
- The Tc cars are equipped with a toilet.
All 44 former 6000 series cars were rebuilt between September 1985 and October 1986 as sets 6151 to 6172, with the first sets entering revenue service from 15 November 1985.
With the popularity of the new trains, a further 8 new 2-car sets were built, including one set for the Yagan Railway, enabling all "Rapid" services between Asakusa and Shimo-Imaichi to be increased to 6-car formations from the 9 August 1988 timetable revision.
A further two newly built sets were added to the Yagan Railway fleet coinciding with the start of Aizu Kinugawa Line services, and one new set was delivered to the Aizu Railway in 1990.
- 私鉄車両年鑑2012 [Japan Private Railways Annual 2012]. Tokyo, Japan: Ikaros Publications Ltd. February 2012. p. 155. ISBN 978-4-86320-549-9.
- "２００６東武鉄道優等車両カタログ" [2006 Tōbu Railway Express Rolling Stock Catalogue]. Tetsudō Daiya Jōhō Magazine. Vol. 35 no. 264. Japan: Kōtsū Shimbun. April 2006. pp. 29–31.
- 私鉄車両編成表 2011 [Private Railway Rolling Stock Formations - 2011]. Japan: Kotsu Shimbunsha. July 2011. p. 45. ISBN 978-4-330-22711-5.
- "全国注目の私鉄車両総ガイド" [General Guide to Private Railway Rolling Stock in the Spotlight Nationwide]. Tetsudō Daiya Jōhō Magazine. Vol. 41 no. 344. Japan: Kōtsū Shimbun. December 2012. p. 9.
- 東武鉄道634系「スカイツリートレイン」が甲種輸送される [Tobu 634 series "Skytree Train" delivered]. Japan Railfan Magazine Online (in Japanese). Japan: Koyusha Co., Ltd. 28 September 2012. Retrieved 16 October 2012.
- Watanabe, Shie (June 2014). 東武6000系・6050系の思い出と魅力 [Memories and attractions of the Tobu 6000 and 6050 series]. Tetsudō Daiya Jōhō Magazine (in Japanese). Vol. 43 no. 362. Japan: Kōtsū Shimbun. pp. 24–29.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Tobu 6050 series.|
- Tobu 6050 series information (in Japanese)