|Member of the Ontario Provincial Parliament
June 8, 1995
|Preceded by||Norm Jamison|
November 3, 1945 |
Port Dover, Ontario
|Political party||Progressive Conservative|
Toby Barrett (born November 3, 1945) is a Progressive Conservative member of the Legislative Assembly of Ontario representing the district of Haldimand—Norfolk for the Progressive Conservative Party. He has been a member since 1995.
Barrett was born in Port Dover, Ontario in 1945. He received a Bachelor of Arts degree from the University of Guelph in 1968, and a Master of Science degree from the Ontario Agricultural College in 1974. He later worked as a teacher of High School agriculture, and has been a partner in Farmleigh Farms since 1980. He is a past president of the Norfolk Farm Safety Association, and a member of the Norfolk Federation of Agriculture.
He was first elected to the Ontario legislature in the provincial election of 1995, defeating Liberal Rudy Stickl and incumbent New Democrat Norm Jamison in the riding of Norfolk. He was re-elected in 1999 in the redistributed riding of Haldimand—Norfolk—Brant. In 2003 he was re-elected again defeating Liberal candidate Rob Esselment by about 3,000 votes.
In the 2007 Ontario general election, Barrett was easily re-elected, defeating Liberal candidate Lorraine Bergstrand by 26,100 votes to 9,500 votes in the newly redrawn riding of Haldimand-Norfolk. He was re-elected in the 2011 and 2014 elections.
He is the party's Caucus Chair and critic for Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs.
- O'Handley, Kathryn (2005). Canadian Parliamentary Guide 2005. ISBN 1-4144-0141-8.
- "Summary of Valid Ballots by Candidate". Elections Ontario. June 8, 1995. Retrieved 2014-03-02.
- "Summary of Valid Ballots by Candidate". Elections Ontario. June 3, 1999. Retrieved 2014-03-02.
- "Summary of Valid Ballots by Candidate". Elections Ontario. October 2, 2003. Retrieved 2014-03-02.
- "Haldimand - Norfolk". Ontario Votes 2007. CBC News. Retrieved 2010-02-07.
- "Summary of Valid Ballots Cast for Each Candidate" (PDF). Elections Ontario. October 6, 2011. p. 6. Archived from the original (PDF) on March 30, 2013. Retrieved 2014-03-02.
- "General Election by District: Haldimand-Norfolk". Elections Ontario. June 12, 2014.