Delos Marshall Cosgrove
1940 (age 79–80)
|Education||Williams College (BA)|
University of Virginia (MD)
Toby Cosgrove was born in 1940 in Watertown, New York and graduated from Williams College, where he majored in history. He received an MD from the University of Virginia School of Medicine. He was an intern at the Massachusetts General Hospital, the Boston Children’s Hospital, and Brook General Hospital in London, U.K.
Cosgrove began working at the Cleveland Clinic in 1975. By 1989, he was appointed as the chairman of its Department of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery. He served as its president and chief executive from 2004 to 2017.
Cosgrove practiced thoracic surgery until 2006. During the course of his career, he performed over 22,000 procedures. He served as the president of the American Association of Thoracic Surgery in 2000. He is a member of the Society of Thoracic Surgeons, the American College of Surgeons, and the American Heart Association. He also became a member of the Institute of Medicine in 2013.
Cosgrove was offered the position of Secretary of the United States Department of Veterans Affairs by President Barack Obama in 2014, but he turned it down. He was interviewed for the same position by president-elect Donald Trump in December 2016.
- Cosgrove, Toby (2014). The Cleveland Clinic Way: Lessons in Excellence From One of the World's Leading Healthcare Organizations. New York: McGraw-Hill Education. ISBN 9780071827249. OCLC 862041447.
- Fann, James I.; Moon, Marc R. (2016). "Historical perspectives of the American Association for Thoracic Surgery: Delos M. Cosgrove, MD (1940-)". The Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery. 152 (6): 1471–1474. doi:10.1016/j.jtcvs.2016.08.006. PMID 27597749.
- "Delos "Toby" Cosgrove, M.D." The Yale Center for Dyslexia & Creativity. Yale University. Retrieved December 22, 2016.
- "Cleveland Clinic CEO and Pres. Toby Cosgrove '62". How's You Get There?. Williams College. Retrieved December 22, 2016.
- Melanie Evans (May 1, 2017). "Cleveland Clinic CEO Toby Cosgrove to Retire". The Wall Street Journal.
- Jacobs, Jennifer; Pettypiece, Shannon (December 20, 2016). "Trump VA Contenders Said to Include Cleveland Clinic's Cosgrove". Bloomberg Politics. Retrieved December 22, 2016.
- Koff, Stephen (December 20, 2016). "Trump interviews Cleveland Clinic CEO Toby Cosgrove for VA job". The Plain Dealer. Retrieved December 22, 2016.
- Bryan, Bob (2 Dec 2016). "Trump is forming an economic advisory team with the CEOs of Disney, General Motors, JPMorgan, and more". Business Insider. Retrieved 1 June 2017.
- Nisen, Max (December 25, 2012). "Big Changes Are Coming For The US Healthcare System". Business Insider. Retrieved December 22, 2016.