Tod Williams Billie Tsien Architects
Tod Williams Billie Tsien Architects (also known as Tod Williams Billie Tsien Architects | Partners) are a husband-and-wife architectural firm founded in 1986, based in New York. Tod and Billie began working together in 1977. Their studio focuses on work for institutions: museums, schools, and not-for-profits—organization.
Tod Williams (born 1943, Detroit, Michigan) received his undergraduate, MFA, and Master of Architecture degrees from Princeton University, New Jersey after graduating from the Cranbrook School in Bloomfield Hills. He is a Fellow of the American Academy in Rome and serves as a Trustee of the Cranbrook Educational Community. He has been inducted into the American Academy of Arts and Letters, National Academy, and American Academy of Arts and Sciences.
Billie Tsien (born 1949, Ithaca, New York) received her undergraduate degree in Fine Arts from Yale University and her M. Arch. from UCLA. She has worked with Williams since 1977 and they have been in partnership since 1986. Tsien is currently President of the Architectural League of New York and Director of the Public Art Fund. She has been inducted into the American Academy of Arts and Letters, National Academy, and American Academy of Arts and Sciences.
Williams and Tsien are the recipients of more than two dozen awards from the American Institute of Architects. They received a 2014 International Fellowship from the Royal Institute of British Architects and the 2013 Firm of the Year Award from the American Institute of Architects. In 2013, each were awarded a National Medal of Arts from President Obama. They have also received the American Academy of Arts and Letters’ Brunner Award, the New York City AIA Medal of Honor, the Cooper-Hewitt National Design Award, the Thomas Jefferson Medal in Architecture, the Municipal Art Society’s Brendan Gill Prize, and the Chrysler Award for Innovation in Design.
A selection of works
- Andlinger Center for Energy and the Environment, Princeton University, Princeton, NJ (2015)
- Tata Consultancy Services, Banyan Park, Mumbai, India (2014)
- LeFrak Center at Lakeside, Prospect Park, NY (2013)
- Savidge Library Addition, The MacDowell Colony, Peterborough, NH (2013)
- Asia Society Hong Kong Center, Admiralty, Hong Kong (2012)
- Barnes Foundation, Philadelphia, PA (2012)
- Reva and David Logan Center for the Arts, University of Chicago (2012)
- Kim & Tritton Residence Halls, Haverford College, Haverford, PA (2012)
- Center for the Advancement of Public Action, Bennington College, Bennington, VT (2011)
- David Rubinstein Atrium at Lincoln Center, New York, NY (2009)
- C.V. Starr East Asian Library, University of California, Berkeley, CA (2008)
- Skirkanich Hall, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia (2006)
- Phoenix Art Museum, Phoenix, AZ (2006, 1996)
- The Robin Hood Foundation Library Initiative, various locations, New York, NY (2004-5)
- First Congregational United Church of Christ, Washington, DC (2001)
- American Folk Art Museum, New York, NY (2001)
- Mattin Center, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD (2001)
- Cranbrook Natatorium, Cranbrook Schools, Bloomfield Hills, MI (1999)
- Helen S. Cheels Aquatic Center, Emma Willard School, Troy, NY (1998)
- Hunter Science Center, Emma Willard School, Troy, NY (1996)
- Neurosciences Institute, The Scripps Research Institute, La Jolla, CA (1995)
- Hereford College, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA (1992)
- Whitney Museum of American Art Downtown Branch, New York, NY (1988)
- Feinberg Hall, Princeton University, Princeton, NJ (1986)
- "Tod Williams Billie Tsien Architects". Architect. 2011-07-06. Retrieved 2016-05-04.
- United, Brooklyn. "Tod Williams & Billie Tsien - Tod Williams Billie Tsien Architects". twbta.com. Retrieved 2016-05-04.
- "Board of Trustees | American Academy in Rome". www.aarome.org. Retrieved 2016-05-04.
- "Board of Trustees 2015-2016". Cranbrook. 2013-10-18. Retrieved 2016-05-04.
- "American Academy of Arts and Letters - Current Members". www.artsandletters.org. Retrieved 2016-05-04.
- Executive Profile: Billie Tsien Businessweek. Accessed on January 09, 2014.
- "The Architectural League of New York | Board of Directors". archleague.org. Retrieved 2016-05-04.
- www.tendercreative.com, TENDER -. "Public Art Fund : Board & Staff". www.publicartfund.org. Retrieved 2016-05-04.
- "National Medal of Arts | NEA". www.arts.gov. Retrieved 2016-05-04.
- Edward J. Sozanski (September 10, 2007). "Barnes chooses its design team". Philly.com. PhilaPhiladelphia Inquirer. Retrieved 2007-09-13.[dead link]
- "Skirkanich Hall". Tod Williams Billie Tsien Architects. Retrieved 10 May 2016.
- Saffron, Inga (10 September 2007). "Barnes chooses its design team". Philadelphia Inquirer.
- Tod Williams, "Ascension", in Archipelago: Essays on Architecture, edited by P. MacKeith, Helsinki, Rakennustieto, 2006
- Billie Tsien, "The cuts through the heart", in Archipelago: Essays on Architecture.
- Tod Williams and Billie Tsien, The 1998 Charles and Ray Eames Lecture, Michigan Architecture Papers, University of Michigan Press, 1999.
- Douglas Heller, Tod Williams Billie Tsien and Associates: An Annotated Bibliography, Council of Planning Librarians, 1993.
- Tod Williams and Billie Tsien, Work/Life, New York, Monacelli Press, 2000.
- Kester Rattenbury, Robert Bevan, and Kieran Long, Architects Today, New York, Laurence King Publishing, 2006.