|Majority Leader of the Virginia House of Delegates|
|Assumed office |
January 10, 2018
|Preceded by||Kirk Cox|
|Member of the Virginia House of Delegates|
from the 15th district
|Assumed office |
January 11, 2006
|Preceded by||Allen Louderback|
Christopher Todd Gilbert
October 19, 1970
Newton, Texas, U.S.
|Education||University of Virginia, Charlottesville (BA)|
Southern Methodist University (JD)
Christopher Todd Gilbert (born October 19, 1970) is an American politician. He has been a Republican member of the Virginia House of Delegates since 2006, representing the 15th district in the Shenandoah Valley and Blue Ridge Mountains, made up of Page and Shenandoah Counties, plus parts of Rockingham and Warren Counties.
Early life and education
Gilbert was born in Newton, Texas. He graduated in 1989 from Central High School in Woodstock, Virginia, where he served as student body president and played three varsity sports. He attended the University of Virginia, where he earned a bachelor's degree in government in 1993. While at UVA, he was a legislative intern in the Capitol Hill office of then U.S. Representative George Allen. Upon graduation, he attended the Southern Methodist University School of Law, where he earned his law degree in 1996 and led the student body as president of the Student Bar Association. While at SMU Law, Gilbert won the school's annual mock trial competition and participated on the school's competitive mock trial team.
Gilbert began his career as a full-time prosecutor. His first job was with the Office of the Commonwealth's Attorney for the City of Lynchburg, where he was a member of the Violent Crime Prosecution Team. In 1999, he returned home to work in the Office of the Commonwealth's Attorney for Shenandoah County for six years, where he was lead prosecutor in a number of major cases.
Virginia House of Delegates
He was first elected to represent the 15th district in the Virginia House of Delegates in 2005.
In 2010, Gilbert was appointed to be Deputy Majority Leader of the House of Delegates.
Gilbert will become the Virginia House of Delegates Majority Leader on January 10, 2018, so long as Republicans maintain their majority following the next elections. He was chosen by the House Republican Caucus following their decision to promote current House Majority Leader Kirk Cox to Speaker of the Virginia House of Delegates.
- House General Laws Committee (Chairman)
- Militia Police and Public Safety Committee
- Courts of Justice Committee
- Virginia State Crime Commission
- Board of Directors of the Virginia YMCA.
Todd Gilbert is married to Jennifer Wishon Gilbert. His mother is Diana Gail Gilbert. He is a member of the First Baptist Church of Woodstock. Outside of Richmond, Gilbert works in a private law practice.
Awards and Honors
- Virginia YMCA "Service to Youth Award"
- Family Foundation "Legislator of the Year"
- Virginia Association of Commonwealth's Attorneys "Champion of Justice Award"
- Virginia Association of Chiefs of Police "Legislator of the Year"
- Virginia State Police Association "Legislator of the Year"
- American Conservative Union "Defender of Liberty"
- Virginia Chamber of Commerce "Champion of Free Enterprise"
- Virginia Chamber of Commerce "Advocate in Legal Reform Award"
|Virginia House of Delegates, 15th district|
|Nov 8, 2005||General||C T Gilbert||Republican||14,050||64.46|
|J K Blubaugh||Democratic||7,721||35.42|
|Allen Louderback retired; seat stayed Republican|
|Nov 6, 2007||General||C. Todd Gilbert||Republican||15,156||98.05|
|Nov 3, 2009||General||C. Todd Gilbert||Republican||16,168||69.26|
|John D. Lesinski||Democratic||7,155||30.65|
|Nov 8, 2011||General||C. Todd Gilbert||Republican||13,617||97.85|
|Jun 11, 2013||Republican primary||C. Todd Gilbert||3,661||92.10|
|Mark W. Prince||314||7.90|
- ""Bio for C. Todd Gilbert"". Virginia House of Delegates. Retrieved 2013-05-22.
- "General Election- November 8, 2005". Virginia State Board of Elections. Retrieved 2013-05-22.
- "November 6, 2007 General Election Official Results". Virginia State Board of Elections. Archived from the original on October 31, 2013. Retrieved 2013-05-22.
- "November 2009 General Election Official Results". Virginia State Board of Elections. Archived from the original on 2012-04-01. Retrieved 2013-05-22.
- "November 2011 General Election Official Results". Virginia State Board of Elections. Archived from the original on 2013-05-20. Retrieved 2013-05-22.
- "Unofficial Results - Primary Election - June 11, 2013". Virginia State Board of Elections. Archived from the original on June 15, 2013. Retrieved 2013-06-14.
- "Todd Gilbert". Virginia Public Access Project. (campaign finance)
- "Delegate Todd Gilbert (R-Woodstock)". Richmond Sunlight.
- "Election Results". Virginia State Board of Elections. Archived from the original on 2013-04-29.
|Virginia House of Delegates|
| Majority Leader of the Virginia House of Delegates