James Todd Newton
May 5, 1970
St. Louis, Missouri, U.S.
|Occupation||Game show host, performer, author, podcaster|
Silver F. Newton
Newton started his entertainment career at age sixteen as a disc jockey for Kincaid Entertainment in St. Louis. Later, the company found a role for him on its popular KMOV children's television show Gator Tales.
While visiting Los Angeles in 1994 to host a movie junket for a St. Louis television station, Newton — then a top-rated radio personality known as Rikk Idol — used the last of his travel money to hire a taxi to take him to the offices of various agents around Hollywood. He eventually signed with Abrams, Rubaloff, & Lawrence and was tapped as a host on E! Entertainment Television in 1995.
Newton was presented with the Daytime Emmy Award for Outstanding Game Show Host in 2012 for his work on Hasbro Studios' popular Family Game Night. He later hosted the syndicated Monopoly Millionaires' Club alongside comic Billy Gardell.
Mentored by game show pioneers Sande Stewart and Bob Barker, Newton has also been at the helm of such productions as GSN's Hollywood Showdown, Powerball Instant Millionaire, In Search Of The Partridge Family, World's Wildest Game Shows, and Whammy! The All-New Press Your Luck.
The Host With The Most has awarded game show contestants more than sixty million dollars in cash and prizes and currently tours the United States and Canada as host of The Price Is Right Live!, an interactive theatrical production of the television game show.
- Gator Tales (1986)
- E! (1995-2007)
- Hollywood Showdown (2000-2001)
- Whammy! The All-New Press Your Luck (2002-2003)
- Powerball Instant Millionaire (2002-2004)
- Hot Ticket (2003)
- Performing As... (2004)
- Reality Remix (2004-2006)
- Made in the USA (2005)
- Gameshow Marathon (2006, road reporter and prize presenter)
- Home Shopping Network (2007-2008)
- GSN Live (2009)
- Family Game Night (2010–2014)
- Monopoly Millionaires' Club (2015-2016, Co-host)
- ShopHQ (2018-2020)
Todd Newton has been behind the microphone of various American radio stations including WKBQ in his hometown of St. Louis, KIIS and KBIG in Los Angeles, WNEW in New York, and the syndicated All Nite Cafe. In January 2015, he helped launch a new radio station in St. Louis called NOW 96.3 KNOU and was inducted into the St. Louis Media Hall of Fame. He is currently the host of The Host With The Most podcast.
In 2012, Newton authored his first book, Life in the Bonus Round. The following year he penned Create A Superstar Demo, and in 2016, The Host With The Most: Tales Of A Tattooed Television Personality.
- Joe Holleman. Todd Newton nominated for another Daytime Emmy, stltoday.com; accessed September 9, 2015.
- Current, umsl.edu; accessed July 27, 2017.
- Profile, bnd.com; accessed September 9, 2015.
- Profile, stltoday.com; accessed September 9, 2015.
- ""The Price is Right Live" offers heartwarming job for host Todd Newton | Entertainment". wyomingnews.com. 2019-11-24. Retrieved 2020-05-14.
- "Freshman Makes Bucks For Yuks At Moonlighting" Current, University of Missouri St. Louis Campus Newspaper, February 16, 1989
- Todd Newton aka Rikk Idol is back on St. Louis airwaves, ksdk.com, February 3, 2015; accessed September 9, 2015.
- Joe Holleman (2015-03-31). "Todd Newton, two other Emmis STL jocks laid off | Joe's St. Louis". stltoday.com. Retrieved 2020-05-14.