Todd Smith (politician)
|Member of the Ontario Provincial Parliament
for Prince Edward—Hastings
October 6, 2011
|Preceded by||Leona Dombrowsky|
October 7, 1971 |
Riverview, New Brunswick
|Political party||Progressive Conservative|
Todd Smith (born October 7, 1971) is a politician in Ontario, Canada. He is a Progressive Conservative member of the Legislative Assembly of Ontario who represents the riding of Prince Edward—Hastings. He has been an MPP since 2011.
Smith was born and raised in Riverview, New Brunswick. He worked for more than sixteen years on the radio with Quinte Broadcasting's CJBQ, Mix 97 and Rock 107, eventually becoming the news director for Quinte Broadcasting.
Smith ran in the 2011 provincial election as the Progressive Conservative candidate in the riding of Prince Edward—Hastings. He defeated Liberal incumbent Leona Dombrowsky by 3,130 votes. He was re-elected in the 2014 provincial election defeating Liberal candidate Georgina Thompson by 4,107 votes.
During his first term of office, Smith introduced several private member's bills. In November 2011, he proposed the Local Municipality Democracy Act which would have restored municipal zoning authority over green energy projects in the Province of Ontario. The bill was defeated after first reading. In May 2012 he introduced the Electronic Commerce Amendment Act with Liberal MPP Yasir Naqvi. It would have allowed for the use of electronic signatures on real estate transactions. When the Legislature prorogued on October 15, the Bill was removed from the order paper along with all other business. It was reintroduced on March 6, 2013 and it passed second reading on March 21 before being adopted by the government as a part of the 2013 budget.
He is the party`s critic for the sale shares of Hydro One.
- "Summary of Valid Ballots Cast for Each Candidate" (PDF). Elections Ontario. October 6, 2011. p. 14. Retrieved 2014-03-02.
- "Two rural incumbents fall as PC support grows". CTV Ottawa. October 7, 2011.
- "General Election by District: Prince Edward-Hastings". Elections Ontario. June 12, 2014.
- Moore, Amanda (December 6, 2011). "Wind group applauds PC efforts". Niagara This Week. p. 1.
- "OREA endorses Bill to enhance electronic real estate transactions". Canada NewsWire. March 6, 2013.
- Hendry, Luke (June 25, 2014). "Smith backs Elliott for PC leader". The Belleville Intelligencer.