July 2015 toe concert in Vancouver, Canada
|Genres||Post-rock, math rock, instrumental rock, alternative rock, jazz fusion, indie rock|
|Labels||Catune, Machu Picchu, Topshelf|
|Associated acts||Pele, The Hiatus|
toe is a Japanese rock band from Tokyo. While mentioned in many post-rock circles, their song structure and dynamics are also similar to many popular math rock artists. The group was founded in 2000 and consists of four members; Kashikura Takashi (drums), Mino Takaaki (guitar), Yamane Satoshi (bass guitar), and Yamazaki Hirokazu (guitar).
The vast majority of the band's music is instrumental in nature and is also known for its melodic, clean guitar settings. Additionally, the compositions have repetition from typical rock motifs, but use very subtle changes in beat and rhythm to form a unique sound. The band has changed their sound over their musical tenure by incorporating acoustic guitars, Rhodes piano, and vibraphones in their most recent releases.
The band tours regularly in Japan.
Their most recent studio album entitled Hear You was released in July 2015.
- Yamazaki Hirokazu – guitar (2000-present)
- Yamane Satoshi – bass (2000-present)
- Mino Takaaki – guitar (2000-present)
- Kashikura Takashi – drums (2000-present)
- Studio Album
- Songs, Ideas We Forgot (2003)
- New Sentimentality (2006)
- New Sentimentality "Tour Edition" (2008) Enhanced CDEP Limited to 1000
- Toe/Collection of Colonies of Bees (2009)
- The Future Is Now (2012)
- Pele / toe (2002)
- Remix album
- Re:designed (2003)
- RGBDVD (2005)
- CUT_DVD (2010)
- 8 Days DVD (2012)