|Traded as||BİST: TOASO|
Cengiz Eroldu (CEO)|
Fabrizio Renzi (CFO)
|Products||Automobiles, Commercial Vehicles, Spare Parts, Die Manufacturing, Consumer Financing|
|Revenue||TRY 26.2 billion (2013)|
|TRY 4 billion (2013)|
FCA Italy (37.8%)|
Koç Holding (37.8%)
Number of employees
Tofaş (acronym for Türk Otomobil Fabrikası Anonim Şirketi; pronounced [tofaʃ]) is a Turkish automaker which was established in 1968 by Vehbi Koç, who was the founder of Koç Holding, based in Bursa, Turkey, where the manufacturing plant of the company is located. It is jointly owned by Fiat Chrysler Automobiles and Koç Holding (37.8% of the company's shares belong to Fiat Group Automobiles; 37.8% to Koç Holding; and 24.3% freefloat).
Tofaş manufactures both passenger cars and light commercial vehicles. It is one of the biggest automakers in the sector with its 6,500 employees and 400,000 vehicles annual production capacity. Tofaş manufactures for the Fiat, Citroen, Peugeot, Opel and Vauxhall brands in Bursa, which has achieved for it the “Gold Level” within the scope of the WCM-World Class Manufacturing Program that is implemented in the 175 plants within the framework of FCA.
Tofaş plays a leading role in Turkish automotive sector; it conducts sales and after sales operations for the Fiat, Alfa Romeo, Lancia, Jeep, Ferrari, and Maserati brands in Turkey.
Tofaş exported 160,000 units to 80 countries in 2013. It also recorded 7 billion TL net sales income and 434 million TL net profit. Fulfilling 22% of the total production in Turkey with its 240,000 units in the previous year, Tofaş achieved 1.6 billion Euro export income by increasing its export volume by 4%.
- 1968 — Tofaş was founded.
- 1969 — the foundation of the company’s production plant was laid in Bursa.
- 1971 — the first Tofaş model was a Fiat 124, produced under license from Fiat and locally named Murat 124 (with a later version named as Serçe). The first motorsport team was established.
- 1973 — the OPAR, which was based on automotive spare parts, was founded.
- 1974 — Tofaş Sport Club was established.
- 1975 — exports began to Egypt.
- 1976 — Murat 131 model was produced.
- 1981 — production began of Kartal and Doğan models.
- 1990 — Tempra model was produced.
- 1994 — Uno model was produced.
- 1994 — Tofaş R&D was established.
- 1995 — exporting of Tempra model was started.
- 1995 — Koç Finans, which provides consumer financing, was established.
- 1997 — Tofaş and OPAR were united.
- 1999 — Marea and Brava models were produced.
- 2000 — Doblo model started production.
- 2000 — Tofaş Basketball Volunteer Project was started.
- 2001 — Tofaş production plant and Tofaş Oto Ticaret were united.
- 2001 — Alfa Romeo started to work together under the roof of Tofaş.
- 2002 — Albea model was produced.
- 2002 — Tofaş became a leader of sector, a champion of production, export and motor sports.
- 2003 — Tofaş Bursa Anatolian Cars and Carriages Museum (Tofaş Anadolu Arabaları Müzesi) was established.
- 2005 — it became the distributor of Ferrari and Maserati Brands in Turkey and Fer Mas (acronym for Ferrari and Maserati) was founded.
- 2006 — exports began of Palio and Albea models to Russia.
- 2007 — the global launch of Linea.
- 2007 — official distribution right of Lancia was attained.
- 2007 — Minicargo project was completed, launched as Fiat Fiorino, also sold to PSA as Peugeot Bipper and Citroen Nemo first time in Tofaş history.
- 2009 — Albea Sole model was launched.
- 2009 — Tofaş Basketball Team stepped up to premier league.
- 2010 — new Fiat Doblo production started and was awarded as “2011 International Van of the Year”.
- 2011 — Doblo was started to be produced for Opel and Vauxhall Brands.
- 2012 — the brand of Jeep joined to Tofaş after Fiat and Chrysler global integration.
- 2012 — 4 millionth vehicle produced since its foundation.
- 2013 — new model investments named Doblo US, which will be exported to USA and Canada, and Doblo FL were announced.
- 2013 — new passenger car investment, which would be launched in 2015, was announced.
- 2013 — Opar and Magneti Marelli made a cooperation agreement for automobile spare part sales.
- 2013 — Bursa plant achieved the WCM “Gold Level”.
- 2014 — opening of the new building of Tofaş Academy.
- 2014 — the protocol for Tofaş Science High School was signed.
- 2015 — Ram ProMaster City (Doblo US) starts production for North American market.
- 2015 — Facelifted second generation Doblo starts production
This section does not cite any sources. (April 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- 1972 — 20,000 units
- 1984 — 35,000 units
- 1990 — 100,000 units
- 1993 — 250,000 units
- 2007 — 360,000 units
- 2008 — 400,000 units
Models and production years
- 1971 - Murat 124
- 1976 - Murat 131
- 1981 - 131 Kartal and 131 Doğan
- 1983 - 124 Serçe
- 1989 - 131 Şahin,Doğan and kartal new body
- 1990 - Fiat Tempra
- 1993 - Tipo & Tempra SW
- 1994 - Fiat Uno
- 1998 - Fiat Palio, Palio weekend and Siena
- 1999 - Fiat Marea & Fiat Brava
- 2000 - Fiat Doblò
- 2002 - Fiat Albea
- 2005 - Fiat Linea
- 2007 - Mini Cargo (Fiat Fiorino - Peugeot Bipper - Citroën Nemo)
- 2010 - New Fiat Doblò
- 2012 - New Fiat Linea
- 2015 - New Fiat Tipo/Egea
Tofaş currently produces the following Fiat models:
the following Chrysler model:
and the following models for other automobile brands:
Old models the company has produced in the past include:
- Fiat 124, as the Tofaş Murat 124 and later Tofaş Serçe.
- Fiat 131, as the Tofaş Murat 131, Şahin, Doğan, or Kartal.
- "Fiat and PSA Citroën reveal new van family". fiat.co.nz. Archived from the original on 2008-10-15. Retrieved 2009-04-18.
- "Tofaş Bursa Plant, WCM-World Class Manufacturing Programme team as a result of inspections carried out"Gold Factory"raised". habermonitor.com. Retrieved 2013-11-17.
- "About Tofas". koc.com.tr. Retrieved 2014-05-09.
- "Tofaş Annual Report 2013" (PDF). tofas.com.tr. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2014-05-13. Retrieved 2014-05-09.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Tofas.|