|Praia do Tofo
|Elevation||0 m (3 ft)|
Praia do Tofo (pt: Tofo Beach) or simply Tofo is a small town in southeastern Mozambique. The town lies on the Indian Ocean coast, on Ponto do Barra peninsula in Inhambane Province, Jangamo District, 22 km drive from Inhambane city. A major Mozambican tourist destination, Tofo is home to beach villas and diving retreats, with tourists drawn by a long Indian Ocean beach front and nearby reefs which attract sealife. Along with Manta Rays and Sea Turtles, Tofo is one of the best destinations for divers to see Whale Sharks.
Historically a small coastal fishing village, Tofo has grown into a foreign tourism center. There is a small vegetable and African market, at least 3 diving centers, a small hotel and several places of accommodation. There is also a horse riding stables and many bars and restaurants. The tourist center also includes the nearby settlement known as "Tofinho" ("Little Tofo") a 10 minute drive out of town with scenic views.
Tofo's tourist industry is built around its exceptional opportunities to see Manta Rays and Whale Sharks which are permanently resident in these waters. Diving centers run snorkeling trips to swim with the Whale Sharks and diving trips to see the Manta Rays (these dives are below 20 metres). Tofo is not otherwise a good location for those who wish to snorkel to see coral reefs and fish as these are too deep. A resident ecological center for local sea life has been created by hotels to manage and guide responsible tourism. Tofo beach, running from a rocky point in the south up much of the length of Ponto do Barra attracts surfers and bathers. Along the coast are a number of other small tourist centers, including Bazaruto Archipelago to the north, Praia de Zavala, praia de Zavora, Baia dos Cocos, Praia da Barra and Pomene. School holiday periods tend to be busy with many South Africans and others visiting Tofo during this time.
Inhambane Airport is operational Monday to Friday from 07:00 to 17:00, Saturdays from 08:00 to 17:00, open by advance request on Sundays. Customs and Immigration can be organised in advance of arrivals. Fees and taxes apply.
- Praia do Tofo, Mozambique Page. Falling Rain Genomics, Inc. 1996-2004.
- Inhambane Province » Cities and towns » Tofo Beach. 2008 Go2Africa Pty (Ltd).
- www.inhambane.co.za, Retrieved on June 15, 2008
- Scuba Diving in Tofo. Diversity Scuba, South Africa.
- Mary Fitzpatrick. Mozambique. Second Edition. Lonely Planet, (2007) ISBN 1-74059-188-7 pp.89-92
- High Commissioner of the Republic of Mozambique in London: Tourism.
- 14 DAY DISCOVER MOZAMBIQUE: Overland Africa Travel.
- Tofo Beach Cottages
- Marine Mega Fauna Research Centre
- Peri Peri Divers, The hottest diving in Tofo
- Liquid Adventures watersports and diving center
- Hotel Tofo Mar
- Inhambane Information
- Dive Sites Mozambique
- Diversity Scuba
- Casa Barry Beach Lodge