A residential area in Burao.
Location in Somaliland .
|Time zone||EAT (UTC+3)|
Togdheer is bordered by Woqooyi Galbeed from the north & west, while Ethiopia to the south, and eastern side of the regions of Sanaag and Sool. With its capital at Burao (Burco), the region's name is derived from the Togdheer River, which means "Long River" in Somali.
As with much of Somaliland, most local residents in the Togdheer region are nomadic pastoralists.
The Togdheer region consists of the following four districts:
- Regions of Somalia
- "Somalia". The World Factbook. Langley, Virginia: Central Intelligence Agency. Retrieved 6 December 2013.
- Bradbury, Mark (2008). Becoming Somaliland. Progressio. p. 201. ISBN 0253351782.
- "Districts of Somalia". Statoids. Retrieved 6 December 2013.
- Hoehne, Markus V. Borders & Borderlands as resources in the Horn of Africa. p. 113. Retrieved 14 November 2017.
- Gebrewold, Belachew. Anatomy of Violence: Understanding the systems of conflict and violence in Africa. Ashgate Publishing Ltd. p. 130. Retrieved 14 November 2017.