Togetherness (TV series)
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||2|
|No. of episodes||16 (list of episodes)|
|Production location(s)||Los Angeles|
|Camera setup||Single camera|
|Running time||25–29 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Duplass Brothers Productions|
|Original release||January 11, 2015 –|
April 10, 2016
Togetherness is an American comedy-drama television series created by Mark Duplass, Jay Duplass and Steve Zissis. It is primarily written and directed by the Duplass brothers, and stars Mark Duplass, Melanie Lynskey, Amanda Peet, Steve Zissis, and Abby Ryder Fortson. The series focuses on themes such as marriage and friendship.
On March 25, 2016 Togetherness was canceled after two seasons.
- Mark Duplass as Brett Pierson, a sound editor and Michelle's husband
- Melanie Lynskey as Michelle Pierson, Brett's wife
- Amanda Peet as Tina Morris, Michelle's sister
- Steve Zissis as Alex Pappas, an aspiring actor and Brett's best friend
- Abby Ryder Fortson as Sophie Pierson, Brett and Michelle's daughter (recurring season 1, starring season 2)
- Peter Gallagher as Larry, a producer and Tina's boyfriend
- John Ortiz as David, a single father who becomes involved with Michelle
- Joshua Leonard as Dudley, a director
- Mary Steenburgen as Linda, a free spirited woman who becomes Brett's friend (season 1)
- Amy Adair as Peggy, the Pierson's babysitter (season 1)
- Ginger Gonzaga as Christy, a film industry worker and Alex's girlfriend (season 2)
- Katie Aselton as Anna, a helper in Michelle's school plan (season 2)
- Emily Althaus as Natalie, a woman Brett meets while working for Uber (season 2)
|First aired||Last aired|
|1||8||January 11, 2015||March 8, 2015|
|2||8||February 21, 2016||April 10, 2016|
In January 2013, HBO ordered the pilot for the series with, Mark Duplass and Jay Duplass writing, directing, and executive producing the series, with Stephanie Langhoff under their Duplass Brothers Productions banner. In March 2013, it was revealed that Amanda Peet, Melanie Lynskey and Steve Zissis joined the cast of the series. In May 2013, it was revealed that Mark Duplass would be starring in the pilot in the lead role. In July 2013, the pilot was picked up to series, with Steve Zissis now joining as a consultant producer and writer. In January 2016, Katie Aselton joined the series in a recurring role. Michael Andrews composed the score for the series.
The first season received positive reviews from many critics. Review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes gave the first season a 93% approval rating, with an average rating of 7.9 out of 10 based on 41 critic reviews. The critical consensus reads: "Togetherness is a delightful surprise that interweaves day-to-day life with moving, dramatic characters who have an affinity for deprecating, squirmy humor." Metacritic gave the first season a score of 79 based on 23 critic reviews, indicating "generally favorable reviews". IGN reviewer Matt Fowler gave the entire first season an 8.3 out of 10, saying that "The Duplass brothers, along with several wonderful performances, have managed to take an oft-trodden road and paved it fresh."
The second season continued to receive positive reviews from critics. On Metacritic, it has a score of 73 out of 100 based on 12 reviews, indicating "generally favorable reviews". Alan Sepinwall of HitFix wrote, "The stories are told with such intimacy, such empathy, and such attention to detail, that it transcends labels and generalities" and that the show is "even better this year".
|5th Critics' Choice Television Awards||Best Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series||Nominated|
|Best Guest Performer in a Comedy Series||Nominated|
- Kondolojy, Amanda (November 6, 2014). "HBO Confirms Jan. 11 debut for 'Girls', 'Togetherness', & 'Looking'". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved November 7, 2014.
- Petski, Denise (October 29, 2015). "'Vinyl', 'Girls' & 'Togetherness' Get February Premiere Dates On HBO". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved January 1, 2016.
- Travers, Ben (March 25, 2016). "Mark & Jay Duplass' HBO Series 'Togetherness' Canceled After Season 2". Indiewire. Retrieved March 25, 2016.
- Goldberg, Lesley (January 24, 2013). "Comedy From Mark and Jay Duplass Lands Pilot Order at HBO". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved April 12, 2016.
- Andreeva, Nellie (March 15, 2013). "Amanda Peet To Star In Duplass Brothers' HBO Comedy Pilot 'Togetherness'". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved April 12, 2016.
- Andreeva, Nellie (May 6, 2013). "Mark Duplass To Star In His And Jay Duplass' HBO Comedy Pilot 'Togetherness'". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved April 12, 2016.
- Goldberg, Lesley. "Duplass Brothers Comedy Gets Series Order at HBO". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved July 19, 2013.
- Petski, Denise (January 15, 2016). "Katie Aselton Joins HBO's 'Togetherness' Season 2". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved April 12, 2016.
- "Michael Andrews to score HBO's 'Togetherness'". Film Music Reporter. December 8, 2014. Retrieved April 12, 2016.
- "Togetherness: Season 1". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved January 28, 2015.
- "Togetherness: Season 1". Metacritic. Retrieved January 28, 2015.
- Fowler, Matt (January 11, 2015). "Togetherness: Season 1 Review". IGN. Retrieved January 28, 2015.
- "Togetherness: Season 2". Metacritic. Retrieved February 23, 2016.
- Sepinwall, Alan (February 19, 2016). "In praise of 'Togetherness,' a very small show with very big emotions". HitFix. Retrieved February 23, 2016.
- "Justified, Broad City, Empire, Mom, 24, Jane The Virgin, Transparent Lead the 2015 Critics Choice Nominations". TVLine. May 6, 2015. Retrieved May 8, 2015.
- "This January on HBO Canada: HBO's New Series TOGETHERNESS Debuts, GIRLS, LOOKING, REAL TIME WITH BILL MAHER, and BANSHEE Return" (Press release). HBO Canada. December 18, 2014. Retrieved February 20, 2016.
- "APRIL on FOXTEL: Game Of Thrones, Mad Men, Wentworth, Deadline Gallipoli and 200+ other new shows". The Green Room. Foxtel. March 30, 2015. Retrieved March 31, 2015.