Cover of the first tankōbon volume of Magic Kaito, as published by Shogakukan on April 18, 1988.
|Written by||Gosho Aoyama|
|Magazine||Weekly Shōnen Sunday|
|Original run||1987 – present|
|Anime film series|
|Directed by||Toshiki Hirano|
|Produced by||Masahito Yoshioka|
|Music by||Atsushi Umebori|
|Released||April 17, 2010 – December 29, 2012|
|Anime television series|
|Magic Kaito 1412|
|Directed by||Susumu Kudo|
|Written by||Kunihiko Okada |
|Music by||Taku Iwasaki|
|Original network||NNS (ytv)|
|Original run||October 4, 2014 – March 28, 2015|
Magic Kaito (Japanese: まじっく快斗 Hepburn: Majikku Kaito) is a Japanese manga series written and illustrated by Gosho Aoyama, that began in Shogakukan's Weekly Shōnen Sunday in 1987. The story tells of a phantom thief named Kaito Kid (怪盗キッド Kaitō Kiddo). Aoyama put the manga on hiatus after the first two tankōbon volumes were published in 1988, and only occasionally draws new chapters; the third volume was published in 1994, the fourth in 2007, and the fifth in 2017. Kaito Kid and other characters from Magic Kaito make occasional appearances in Detective Conan, another manga series by Aoyama that has also been adapted into an anime.
Twelve animated television specials based on the series have been produced by TMS Entertainment and aired between 2010 and 2012. A 24-episode anime series titled Magic Kaito 1412 (まじっく快斗1412) was created by A-1 Pictures and aired from October 4, 2014 to March 28, 2015.
Kaito Kuroba is a normal teenage student whose father died under mysterious circumstances eight years ago. Eight years later, he is made aware of his father's secret identity; a famous international criminal known as Kaito Kid, and that he was murdered by a mysterious organization because he tried to steal a gem which was also targeted by them. The goal of the organization is to find within a year the Pandora Gem, a mystical stone said to shed tears during the passing of the Volley comet (which happens once every 10,000 years): drinking these tears bestows immortality.
He vows to prevent the organization from gaining immortality, and assumes his father's thief identity as he begins his quest for the gem. His only clues as to the gem's location are that it glows red under the full moon and that it is a doublet: a gem hidden within a larger gem. Thus, it would have to be a relatively large one with a bizarre history, and always stored in a place that never receives moonlight. He thus researches and steals famous priceless gems with odd histories from incredibly well-defended areas, but returns them after the very next full moon as they are not the Pandora.
- Kaito Kuroba (黒羽 快斗 Kuroba Kaito)
- The protagonist, is a smart, quirky and arrogant 17-year-old boy who is a master illusionist. As Kaito Kid, he occasionally appears in the Detective Conan series as an antagonist. He has some feelings for his childhood friend Aoko Nakamori who he teases constantly. His alter ego is the Kaito Kid, a gentleman thief who publicly announces his heists; after his heists he returns the stolen items to their owners. Occasionally he is challenged by other phantom thieves across the world, the greatest being the mysterious Kaito Corbeau from the USA. However Kid is able to defeat them all and force all of them to retirement. His Japanese voice actor is Kappei Yamaguchi and his English voice actor is Jerry Jewell.
- Aoko Nakamori (中森 青子 Nakamori Aoko)
- Aoko Nakamori is Kaito's best childhood friend and love interest. She is an obstinate, impulsive and lighthearted girl. She often bickers with Kaito at school. She has feelings for Kaito, although she is afraid of admitting to him. She gets along well with Akako, but unknown to her, Akako envies her. Both girls vie for Kaito's affections. As the daughter of Inspector Nakamori, she despises the Kaito Kid, though she is unaware of the irony. Her Japanese voice actresses are Ayumi Fujimura in the specials and Mao Ichimichi in Magic Kaito 1412, Yukiko Iwai in episode 76 of Detective Conan, Minami Takayama in episode 219 and OVA 4 of Detective Conan.
- Saguru Hakuba (白馬探 Hakuba Saguru)
- Saguru Hakuba is a famous high school detective based out of Japan and one of Kaito's rivals alongside Shinichi/Conan. He is very smug about his abilities and is highly sophisticated. As the son of a high police official, he had many chances to capture the Kaito Kid but he failed. He believes that Kaito is the Kaito Kid but lacks the evidence. His Japanese voice actors are Akira Ishida in the Magic Kaito specials and in Detective Conan, and Mamoru Miyano in Magic Kaito 1412.
- Akako Koizumi (小泉 紅子 Koizumi Akako)
- Akako Koizumi is a witch who uses real magic. Before meeting Kaito, her goal was to enamor every man in the world but Kaito's immunity to her spells makes him a target for her. She learns Kaito's identity as the Kaito Kid and becomes the only friend who knows his secret. Although she hates the fact that Kaito is able to resist her charms, she is enamored by his independence and mysteriousness. She loves Kaito and envies Aoko for being so close to him. Her schemes involve her obsession with enslaving Kaito's heart and genuine concern for him in particular heists. Her Japanese voice actresses are Miyuki Sawashiro in the Magic Kaito specials, Eri Kitamura in Magic Kaito 1412, and Megumi Hayashibara in Detective Conan.
- Ginzo Nakamori (中森 銀三 Nakamori Ginzō)
- Ginzo Nakamori, known as Mace Fuller in Funimation Entertainment's Detective Conan dub, is the inspector in charge of capturing the Kaito Kid. His Japanese voice actor is Unshou Ishizuka and his English voice actor is Jay Jones.
- Toichi Kuroba (黒羽 盗一 Kuroba Tōichi)
- Toichi Kuroba is Kaito's father. He was the original Phantom Thief Kid and took on the role to overshadow his wife's alter ego, the Phantom Lady, allowing her to leave her life of crime. He originally used the name Phantom Thief 1412 but due to Yusaku Kudo's reading, the 1412 was read as Kid, and was used since then. Toichi was killed after impeding an unknown's organization goal for the Pandora's Tear. His Japanese voice actor is Shūichi Ikeda.
- Konosuke Jii (寺井 黄之助 Jii Kōnosuke)
- Konosuke Jii is the Kuroba family's butler. He took on the role of Kaito Kid to lure out Toichi Kuroba's killer.
- Kuroba Chikage
- She was formerly the international thief The Phantom Lady of Twenty Faces. She fell in love with Kuroba Toichi and married him, retiring from robbery. She is the mother of Kuroba Kaito, the present Kaito Kid. Currently she is in Las Vegas, though she keeps regular contact with her son and asks Aoko to take care of him. She once tried to persuade her son to give up robbery and start a new life as a magician in Las Vegas. It is strongly implied in the "Midnight Crow" Arc that she knows who is Kaito Corbeau, the mysterious rival of Kaito Kid, who had recently become active in Las Vegas. It is also implied that she sent Corbeau to test her son.
Written and illustrated by Gosho Aoyama, Magic Kaito has been sporadically serialized in Weekly Shōnen Sunday since 1987. It was halted in 1988 after two tankōbon volumes, but new chapters have been occasionally released since then; a third volume was published in 1994, a fourth volume in 2007 and a fifth volume in 2017. In 2011 the first four volumes were republished in "Treasured Editions" from August 15 to December 16. Two versions of each volume were released, one containing a DVD of one of the TV specials.
While there has not been an official English-language release of the manga, it has been translated and released in Italy, Spain, Germany and Taiwan, by Star Comics, Planeta DeAgostini Comics, Egmont Manga & Anime and Chingwin Publishing Group respectively.
|1||April 15, 1988||ISBN 978-4-09-122081-3 |
|2||October 15, 1988||ISBN 978-4-09-122082-0 |
|"The Hustler VS. The Magician" is actually the second chapter Aoyama created for the series, but it was never published in the magazine.|
|3||September 15, 1994||ISBN 978-4-09-122083-7 |
|4||February 16, 2007||ISBN 978-4-09-121005-0 |
|5||July 18, 2017||ISBN 978-4-09-121005-0 |
Twelve animated television specials based on Magic Kaito have been created between 2010 and 2012. All have been directed by Toshiki Hirano, produced by TMS Entertainment and aired on Nippon Television Network System during Detective Conan's time slot. Several have been titled as "Detective Conan Specials" despite the fact that none have had anything to do with the Conan series. The first aired on April 17, 2010.
|Ep. no||Title||Original airdate|
|1||"Detective Conan Special: Secret of the Birth of the Kaito Kid"|
"Meitantei Konan Supesharu 「Kaitō Kiddo Tanjō no Himitsu」" (名探偵コナンスペシャル 「怪盗キッド誕生の秘密」)
|April 17, 2010|
|After being in remission for eight years, the Kaito Kid suddenly makes a reappearance by robbing a jewelry store. The news about the theft spreads around the school of Kaito Kuroba, a prankster magician. When his friend Aoko Nakamori informs him that the Phantom Thief uses magic as well, Kaito decides to catch him, claiming that his tricks are the best. At home, Kaito finds a secret room which was timed to reveal itself on that day and discovers a room full of Kaito Kid's equipment. Later that day, inspector Ginzo Nakamori, Aoko's father, learns that the Phantom Thief is targeting a jewel known as the Moon's Pupil and prepares an ambush at the jewel's location. Meanwhile, Kaito deduces that eight years ago is the same time, his father, Toichi Kuroba, died and suspects the original Phantom Thief was his father. To confirm that theory, he decides to don the Kaito Kid costume to confront the current Kid. Kid manages to successfully steal the Moon's Pupil but is confronted by Kaito. The current Kid reveals that he is Jii Kounosuke, Toichi's servant who confirms that Toichi was the Kaito Kid and also reveals that Toichi’s death eight years previous was the result of murder. Kaito decides to take over the role of Kid, and he and Jii escape from the police. Later the next day, as Kaito is admiring the Moon’s Pupil, Aoko comes and scares him with a fish which causes him to toss the Moon's Pupil into the air and fall into the fish's mouth. Consequently, Inspector Nakamori finds the jewel when he cooks the fish for dinner that night.|
|2||"Detective Conan Special: Kaito Kid's Summer Festival: Kaito Kid's Busy Date"|
"Meitantei Konan Natsu no Kaitō Kiddo Matsuri "Kaitō Kiddo no Isogashii Dēto"" (名探偵コナン 夏の怪盗キッド祭り 「怪盗キッドの忙しいデート」)
|August 6, 2011|
|During Kaito's latest heist of the Angel Crown, a crown embedded with jewels, Nakamori sees his face and begins to suspect Kaito to be the Kaito Kid. After failing to steal the crown, Kaito leaves behind a calling card announcing the time and date of his second attempt. Nakamori shares his suspicions with Aoko, who decides to take Kaito out on a date at Tropical Land on the day of Kid's heist to prove his innocence. Kaito, realizing Aoko's intentions, concludes he must use her to establish an alibi while also completing his heist to clear his name. While watching a movie, Kaito sneaks away and completes the heist while demonstrating his perfect disguise ability, throwing off Nakamori's suspicions. He returns to Aoko before she notices his disappearance who expresses relief Kaito was not Kid.|
|3||"Detective Conan Special: Kaito Kid's Summer Festival: The Princess Loves Magic"|
"Meitantei Konan Natsu no Kaitō Kiddo Matsuri "Ōjosama wa Majikku ga Osuki"" (名探偵コナン 夏の怪盗キッド祭 「王女様はマジックがお好き」)
|August 13, 2011|
|Princess Anne, a European princess, travels to Japan with Detective Delon. She announces she is hosting a party for magicians and publicly challenges Kid to steal her jeweled necklace, the Beaucoup de Soleil à Paris. Delon opts to capture Kid and removes Nakamori from the case. Nakamori, saddened by this, asks Kaito to help him enter the party so he could attempt to catch Kid before Delon does. After doing so, Kaito dons the disguise and uses Delon's inexperience to successfully enter the Princess' room. Anne reveals she is a big fan of the Phantom Thief and goes along with Kaito's plan allowing him to escape and gives Nakamori credit for foiling Kid's heist.|
|4||"Kaito Kid Special: The Witch That Sheds no Tears"|
"Kaitō Kiddo Supesharu "Majo wa Namida o Kobosanai"" (怪盗キッドスペシャル 「魔女は涙をこぼさない」)
|September 24, 2011|
|The witch Akako Koizumi, using her magic mirror, learns that the Kaito Kid is the only male in the world immune to her charms. She transfers to Kaito's school and deduces his identity when she fails to charm him on Valentine's Day. Akako decides to confront Kid on his next heist and uses her magic to predict the time and location. Kaito escapes Akako's attempts at his life but is trapped by a magic circle atop Tokyo Tower. She demands Kaito into eating her chocolate which will enslave his will to her but is freed when the snow disrupts the magic circle. Nakamori, under the influence of Akako's magic, attempts to shoot Kid but hits a gas tank causing an explosion and knocking Akako off the tower. Kaito saves her, convincing her enslaving him through magic is wrong, and departs.|
|5||"Kaito Kid Special: The Fated Blue Birthday"|
"Kaitō Kiddo Supesharu "Unmei no Burū Bāsudē"" (怪盗キッドスペシャル 「運命のブルーバースデー」)
|October 29, 2011|
|After a successful heist, Kid receives a phone call from a payphone and is told to stop stealing gems. At school, Kaito promises Aoko he will attend her birthday party, which is on the same day as his heist for the gem known as the Blue Birthday. Kaito succeeds but is met by an organization and learns that they are the cause of his father's death. After seemingly killed by a man codenamed Snake, the organization steals the Blue Birthday and departs. Kaito follows them and learns the organization are searching for an immortality granting jewel known as Pandora which resides in a large gemstone and can only be found if shone in the moonlight. After determining the Blue Birthday is not pandora, Kaito threatens to find and destroy Pandora before they can find it. Unable to make it to Aoko's birthday in time, Kaito rigs an apartment complex's lights to spell out Happy Birthday Aoko. Elsewhere, the organization contacts their boss who decides to hire the magician known as Spider to counter Kid.|
|6||"Kaito Kid Special: Love on the Ski Slope on Christmas Eve"|
"Kaitō Kiddo Supesharu "Ivu wa Koisuru Gerende de"" (怪盗キッドスペシャル 「聖夜は恋するゲレンデで」)
|December 24, 2011|
|Kaito's class travel to a ski resort and hosts their own class costume couple skiing contest. Aoko partners with an unpopular classmate after being told by Akako that Kaito is her partner. Akako places a magic charm on Kaito in an attempt to make him become enamored by her, but is ineffective on Kaito who remains dejected by Aoko's pairing. Kaito is told by Aoko's partner that Aoko wants to be with him and the two agree to switch places. Kaito and Aoko win the contest dressed as Kaito Kid and his bride.|
|7||"Kaito Kid's Summer Festival: Magic Kaito (The Brilliant Rival)"|
"Natsu no Kaitō Kiddo Matsuri Majikku Kaitō "Kareinaru Raibarutachi"" (夏の怪盗キッド祭り まじっく快斗「華麗なるライバルたち」)
|August 4, 2012|
|Kaito aims to steal a gem in the right eye of a bronze statue from a museum. There, Saguru Hakuba is chasing after Spider, the magician hired to kill Kid. Kaito's heist is successful and after confirming it is not pandora, returns it and flees. He is confronted by Spider but is able to ward him off with Hakuba's help. Hakuba decides to stay in Japan until Spider is captured and enrolls in Kaito's class. In the end, Spider's identity is revealed to be the famous magician, Gunter Von Goldberg.|
|8||"Kaito Kid's Summer Festival: The Secret of the Red Tear"|
"Natsu no Kaitō Kiddo Matsuri "Reddo Tiā no Himitsu"" (夏の怪盗キッド祭り 「レッド・ティアーの秘密」)
|August 11, 2012|
|Kaito cancels his heist of the Red Tear after remembering his father telling him the secret to the gem. However, Kaito runs into the gem's owner, Jody Hopper, and sees Snake following her. Deducing the organization is after the gem, Kaito attends Jody's magic show and protects her from the organization. After successful eluding Snake, Kaito reveals when the gem is shone with light from fire, the gem emits pictures of Jody's childhood and a message from her grandfather telling her to regain her love for magic regardless of her parent's death.|
|9||"Kaito Kid Special: The Witch, The Detective, and The Phantom Thief"|
"Kaitō Kiddo Supesharu "Majo to Tantei to Kaitō to"" (怪盗キッドスペシャル 「魔女と探偵と怪盗と」)
|September 29, 2012|
|Kaito Kid strikes again, leaving the jewel behind where the Police got confused on what he is after. Hakuba then found an evidence left by Kid, his strand of hair. Then after they examined the hair, they found out that it belong to a high school student. After putting an all-nighter, Hakuba suspected Kaito then invites him. Where Akako intervene saying it is a trap. Knowing that it is all a trap he took up the challenge. Kaito's identity was almost revealed until another Kaito showed up which is Akako, flying with a broom. Spider then caught Akako and used her to take Kaito out but failed. Hakuba then interfere saying Spider is Gunter von Goldberg which is a fake name. Spider escaped and Hakuba failed to reveal the identity of Kaito Kid. Kaito returned again the stolen jewel.|
|10||"Magic Kaito: The Reminiscent Golden Eye"|
"Majikku Kaito "Tsuioku no Gōruden Ai"" (まじっく快斗 「追憶のゴールデン・アイ」)
|November 3, 2012|
|On Sunday at 9 o'clock PM, a showdown will commence between Kaitou Kid and Chat Noir; a French thief who seeks the last piece out of seven accessories that were collected by Marie Antoinette for exorcism. Haido City Hotel will witness the challenge between the flashy Kid and the dark Noir. Will Kid succeed in stealing Golden Eye before Noir does and win the bet?|
|11||"Kaito Kid Winter Special: The Teary Crystal Mother"|
"Fuyu no Kaitō Kiddo Supesharu "Namida no Kurisutaru Mazā"" (冬の怪盗キッドスペシャル 「涙のクリスタル・マザー」)
|December 22, 2012|
|This TV Special is a remake of the fourth OVA of Detective Conan with some changes. Kid seeks the Crystal Mother, which is held by the Queen. In this episode, Snake and Spider aboard the same train to get the jewel.|
|12||"Kaito Kid Winter Special: Tears of Love of the Dark Night"|
"Fuyu no Kaitō Kiddo Supesharu "Dāku Naito ni Ai no Namida wo"" (冬の怪盗キッドスペシャル 「ダーク･ナイトに愛の涙を」)
|December 29, 2012|
|A very notorious thief, Nightmare, forces Kid to help him get the jewels he desires after helping Kid escape capture. By one incident, Kid recognized that the ICPO inspector Conelly, sent to catch Kaito Kid, was Nightmare. He became a thief in order to gather money for treatment of his son's illness. Thus Kid disguises the crime as if ICPO Inspector Conelly got injured by Nightmare before he fled from the crime scene.|
Anime television series
A 24-episode anime series titled Magic Kaito 1412 (まじっく快斗1412) was created by A-1 Pictures and aired on NNS from October 4, 2014 to March 28, 2015. The series was announced as a new simulcast beginning with episode 13 on Crunchyroll for audiences in North America.
- Aoyama, Gasho (September 17, 1994). "名探偵登場!!" [The Detective's Arrival!!]. まじっく快斗 [Magic Kaito] (in Japanese). Volume 3. Shogakukan. ISBN 4-09-122083-5.
- Aoyama, Gasho (June 16, 2006). "File 10. 探偵甲子園" [File 10. The Detective Koshien]. 名探偵 コナン [Detective Conan]. Case Closed (in Japanese). Volume 54. Shogakukan. ISBN 4-09-120377-9.
- Aoyama, Gasho (September 17, 1994). "紅子の宅配便" [Akako's Gift]. まじっく快斗 [Magic Kaito] (in Japanese). Volume 3. Shogakukan. ISBN 4-09-122083-5.
- Aoyama, Gasho (August 9, 1997). "File 8. 気配" [File 8. Presence]. 名探偵 コナン [Detective Conan]. Case Closed (in Japanese). Volume 16. Shogakukan. ISBN 4-09-125046-7.
- "コナンVS怪盗キッド" [Conan vs. Kaito Kid]. Detective Conan. Season 3. September 22, 1997. Yomiuri Telecasting Corporation.
- Case Closed: The Last Wizard of the Century (DVD). Funimation Entertainment. December 15, 2009. UPC 704400078040.
- "Kaito Kid Vol 1" (in Japanese). Shogakukan. Retrieved August 28, 2012.
- "Kaito Kid Vol 2" (in Japanese). Shogakukan. Retrieved August 28, 2012.
- "Kaito Kid Vol 3" (in Japanese). Shogakukan. Retrieved August 28, 2012.
- "Kaito Kid Vol 4" (in Japanese). Shogakukan. Retrieved August 28, 2012.
- "Kaito Kid Vol 5" (in Japanese). Shogakukan. Retrieved July 22, 2017.
- "Magic Kaito" (in Japanese). Animax. Archived from the original on March 5, 2010. Retrieved April 18, 2010.
- "The Reminiscent Golden Eye". Yomiuri Telecasting Corporation. Retrieved November 17, 2012.
- まじっく快斗 (in Japanese). Animax. Archived from the original on April 14, 2010. Retrieved January 7, 2014.
- "Detective Conan: Kaito Kid's Summer Festival" (in Japanese). Yomiuri Telecasting Corporation. Archived from the original on July 25, 2011. Retrieved July 13, 2011.
- "Kaito Kid Special: The Witch That Doesn't Shed Tears". Yomiuri Telecasting Corporation. Retrieved October 8, 2011.
- "Kaito Kid Special: The Fated Blue Birthday". Yomiuri Telecasting Corporation. Retrieved October 26, 2011.
- "Kaito Kid Special: In Love with Ski Slopes on Christmas Eve". Yomiuri Telecasting Corporation. Retrieved December 18, 2011.
- "The Brilliant Rival". Yomiuri Telecasting Corporation. Retrieved August 4, 2012.
- "The Brilliant Rival". Yomiuri Telecasting Corporation. Retrieved August 9, 2012.
- "Kaito Kid Special: The Witch, The Detective, and The Phantom Thief". Yomiuri Telecasting Corporation. Retrieved November 17, 2012.
- "Magic Kaito: The Reminiscent Golden Eye". Yomiuri Telecasting Corporation. Retrieved November 17, 2012.
- "Magic Kaito: Crystal Mother's Tear". Yomiuri Telecasting Corporation. Retrieved January 21, 2013.
- "Magic Kaito: Tears of Love of the Dark Night". Yomiuri Telecasting Corporation. Retrieved January 21, 2013.
- "Magic Kaito 1412, Wolf Girl & Black Prince's Episode Counts Listed". Anime News Network. Retrieved September 17, 2014.
- "Crunchyroll to Stream Magic Kaito 1412 Anime". Anime News Network. January 2, 2015.