E4 series on a Max Toki service, January 2006
|First service||10 June 1962 (Limited express)
15 November 1982 (Shinkansen)
|Current operator(s)||JR East|
|Line used||Joetsu Shinkansen|
|Class(es)||Standard + Green|
|Catering facilities||Trolley service|
|Rolling stock||E2 series, E4 series|
|Track gauge||1,435 mm (4 ft 8 1⁄2 in)|
|Electrification||25 kV AC (50 Hz), overhead|
|Operating speed||240 km/h (150 mph)|
The name is taken from the Japanese name of the crested ibis, for which Niigata is famous.
(*) Not served by all trains
Former rolling stock
- E1 series 12-car sets (Max Toki) (until 28 September 2012)
- 200 series 10-car "K" sets (until 15 March 2013)
The name Toki was first introduced on 10 June 1962 for limited express services operating between Ueno in Tokyo and Niigata on the Jōetsu Line. This service operated until 14 November 1982, the day before the Jōetsu Shinkansen opened.
From the start of services on the newly opened Jōetsu Shinkansen on 15 November 1982, Toki became the name used for the all-stations shinkansen services operating initially between Ōmiya and Niigata, later between Ueno and Niigata, and eventually between Tokyo and Niigata.
The Toki name was discontinued from October 1997 following the introduction of new Tanigawa all-stations services between Tokyo and Echigo-Yuzawa. However, the name was reinstated from December 2002 to replace the name Asahi used for all Tokyo to Niigata trains.
Special train services
A special Joetsu Shinkansen 30th Anniversary (上越新幹線開業30周年号」 Jōetsu Shinkansen Kaigyō 30-shūnen-gō?) service ran as Toki 395 from Omiya to Niigata on 17 November 2012 using 10-car 200 series set K47.
- JR新幹線＆特急列車ファイル [JR Shinkansen & Limited Express Train File]. Japan: Kōtsū Shimbun. 2008. ISBN 978-4-330-00608-6.
- "上越新幹線でE2系の定期運用再開" [E2 series returns to regular duties on Joetsu Shinkansen]. Japan Railfan Magazine Online (in Japanese). Japan: Koyusha Co., Ltd. 27 January 2013. Retrieved 27 January 2013.
- 列車名鑑1995 [Train Name Directory 1995]. Japan: Railway Journal. August 1995.
- Ｅ２系車両を上越新幹線に投入！ [E2 series trains to be introduced on Joetsu Shinkansen] (PDF). News Release (in Japanese). Japan: East Japan Railway Company. 16 November 2012. Retrieved 16 November 2012.
- "とき"395号「上越新幹線開業30周年記念号」運転 [Toki 395 "Joetsu Shinkansen 30th Anniversary"]. Japan Railfan Magazine Online (in Japanese). Japan: Koyusha Co., Ltd. 18 November 2012. Retrieved 18 November 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Toki (train).|
- 200 series Yamabiko/Toki/Nasuno/Tanigawa (Japanese)
- E1 series Max Toki/Max Tanigawa at the Wayback Machine (archived 22 July 2011) (Japanese)
- E4 series Max Toki/Max Tanigawa (Japanese)