This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Tokyo Dark is a point-and-click adventure game developed by the indie developer Cherrymochi and published by Square Enix for Microsoft Windows and macOS. It follows the story of Detective Itō Ayami, who is searching for her partner, Detective Kazuki Tanaka, who went missing during a case. The player’s choices directly affect Ayami’s mental state and thought processes, which later results in one of the game’s multiple endings.
The player takes control of Detective Itō Ayami (voiced by Asama Hikage), who is looking for her partner, Detective Kazuki Tanaka, that went missing during an investigation. As she investigates her partner's disappearance, Ayami obtains a mask that reveals a sinister, dark truth behind the case. The story follows her as she desperately tries to find Tanaka while also fighting her own sanity. Based on the player's choices the story will follow one of 11 endings.
The game is a point-and-click adventure game. The game's store page on Steam describes the gameplay as "the exploration, discovery and puzzle solving found in Point and Click Adventures married with narrative depth and intrigue of visual novels."
The game was funded via Kickstarter. The goal of the campaign was 40,000 CAD and was surpassed with a total of 225.000 CAD. The game features an original soundtrack by Reign of Fury front man Matt 'Bison' Steed. The animated sequences were produced by Graphinica, while the Japanese novelist Ureshino Kimi was responsible for the Japanese localization.
This section contains too many or overly lengthy quotations for an encyclopedic entry. (January 2018)
Matthias Glanznig from Adventure Gamers said that "Although falling short of its full potential, Tokyo Dark tells an intriguing mystery story and nicely integrates elements of both western and eastern cultures, combining point-and-click adventure-style exploration and simple puzzles with visual novel-length conversations and multiple endings, some more satisfying than others."
Colm Ahern's of VideoGamer.com stated that "Tokyo Dark is an enjoyable supernatural mystery that holds your attention up until the end, which makes the disappointing execution of the SPIN system a real shame."
Awards and nominations
- "Vermillion Gate Award Winner" at BitSummit 4th
- "Magical Presence Award Nominee" at BitSummit 4th
- "Dengeki PlayStation Indies on the Rise Award Nominee" at BitSummit
- Couture, Joel (14 August 2017). "Psychological Horror Game Tokyo Dark Announces Release Date With New Trailer". Siliconera. Retrieved 14 August 2017.
- "Tokyo Dark by Cherrymochi Game Studio ― Kickstarter". Retrieved 12 September 2017.
- "UNTIES -アンティーズ- on Twitter". Twitter. Retrieved 9 August 2018.
- "Tokyo Dark: Remembrance announced for PS4, Switch [Update] - Gematsu". Gematsu. 3 August 2018. Retrieved 9 August 2018.
- UNTIES_Games (6 August 2018), 『TOKYO DARK -Remembrance-』Trailer, retrieved 9 August 2018
- "Tokyo Dark for PC Reviews". Metacritic. Retrieved 6 September 2017.
- Glanznig, Matthias (27 September 2017). "Tokyo Dark Review". Adventure Gamers. Retrieved 27 September 2017.
- Bass (24 September 2017). "Review: Tokyo Dark". Destructoid. Retrieved 24 September 2017.
- Ahern, Colm (6 September 2017). "Tokyo Dark review". VideoGamer.com. Retrieved 6 September 2017.
- "BitSummit". BitSummit.