|Look up tolerance in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: Tolerance|
Tolerance or toleration is the state of tolerating, or putting up with, conditionally.
- Engineering tolerance, permissible limit(s) of variation in an object
- Paradox of tolerance, the problem that a tolerant person is antagonistic toward intolerance, hence intolerant of it
- Tolerance group, a way to ensure employees do not exceed their authority in financial transactions in an ERP system
- Tolerance Monument, an outdoor sculpture near Goldman Promenade in Jerusalem, Israel.
- Tolerance tax, a historic tax that was levied against Jews in Hungary
- Tolerant Systems, the former name of Veritas Software
- Toleration Party, a historic political party active in Connecticut
The term “toleration”—from the Latin tolerare: to put up with, countenance or suffer—generally refers to the conditional acceptance of or non-interference with beliefs, actions or practices that one considers to be wrong but still “tolerable,” such that they should not be prohibited or constrained. There are many contexts in which we speak of a person or an institution as being tolerant: parents tolerate certain behavior of their children, a friend tolerates the weaknesses of another, a monarch tolerates dissent, a church tolerates homosexuality, a state tolerates a minority religion, a society tolerates deviant behavior.
Biology, medicine, physiology
- Desiccation tolerance, the ability of an organism to endure extreme dryness
- Drug tolerance or physiological tolerance, a decrease in the response to a substance due to previous exposure
- Immune tolerance or immunological tolerance, by which the immune system does not attack an antigen
- Low frustration tolerance, a concept in Rational Emotive Behavioral Therapy
- Pain tolerance, the maximum level of pain that a person is able to tolerate
- Shade tolerance, a plant's abilities to tolerate low light levels
Mathematics and statistics
- Tolerance, a measure of multicollinearity in statistics
- Tolerance interval, a type of statistical probability
- Tolerant sequence, in mathematical logic
- Intolerance (disambiguation)
- Ontario Consultants on Religious Tolerance
- Toleration Act (disambiguation)
- Zero tolerance (disambiguation)
|This disambiguation page lists articles associated with the title Tolerance.
If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change the link to point directly to the intended article.