Toll Gate High School
|Toll Gate High School|
The Robert J. Shapiro Arts Center at TGHS
|575 Centerville Rd
Warwick, Rhode Island 02886
|Type||Public high school|
|School district||Warwick Public Schools|
|NCES District ID||4401110|
|School number||State school ID: 35138|
|NCES School ID||440111000307|
|Faculty||93.80 (on full-time equivalent (FTE) basis)|
|Enrollment||1048 (2009-2010 )|
|• Grade 9||273|
|• Grade 10||249|
|• Grade 11||251|
|• Grade 12||275|
|Student to teacher ratio||11.17|
|School color(s)||Red, White, Navy|
|Athletics||(FALL) Football, Cross Country, Soccer(Girls), Soccer(Boys), Tennis(Girls), Volleyball(Girls), Field Hockey, Unified Volleyball (WINTER)Basketball(Boys), Basketball(Girls), Wrestling, Indoor Track, Swimming, Gymnastics, Hockey(Boys), Hockey(Girls), Competition Cheerleading, (SPRING)Baseball, Softball, Lacrosse(Boys), Lacrosse(Girls), Tennis(Boys), Volleyball(Boys), Golf, Outdoor Track, Unified Basketball|
|Rival||Pilgrim High School|
|Average SAT scores||517 Reading, 522 Math|
|Feeder schools||Winman Junior High School|
Toll Gate High School is a public high school in Warwick, Rhode Island on Centerville Road. It serves education to grades 9-12 and has approximately 1100 students and 97 teachers. The current timeblock for a school day is 7:24am–1:51pm.
The school opened in 1972 with Robert J. Shapiro as the first principal, who later became the superintendent for Warwick Schools (retiring from this position in 2007). The school's cultural arts center was dedicated in Shapiro's name in 1999.
The Toll Gate Varsity Ice Hockey team won the 2004 Rhode Island State Championship, ending the 26-year run of Mount Saint Charles Academy. Their victory is documented in the 2006 documentary film Ice Kings.
State championship titles:
- Baseball: 1991 (Class A), 2001 (Class A)
- Basketball (Girls'): 1973 (Class A), 1982 (Class A)
- Cross Country (Boys'): 1972 (State), 1974 (Class A, State and New England), 1999 (Class B)
- Golf: 1981 (State)
- Ice Hockey: 1988 (Met B-1 Small), 2004 (State), 2005 (State)
- Ice Hockey (Girls): 2006, 2014 (Division I-State), 2015 (DeCosta Division-State)
- Indoor Track (Boys'): 2005 (Class B)
- Indoor Track (Girls'): 2001 (Large Schools) 2015(Class - Medium Schools)
- Soccer (Boys'): 1990 (I-B), 2014 (Division II-State)
- Softball (fast-pitch): 2005-2006 (Division II)
- Tennis (Boys'): 1979-1981 (Class A), 2007-2008 (Division II)
- Tennis (Girls'): 1977 (Class A), 1985 (Class A), 1991 (Class A)
- Unified Basketball: 2014 (State)
- Unified Volleyball: 2015 (State)
- Volleyball (Boys'): 1988 (Division I)
- Volleyball (Girls'): 1979-1983 (Class A), 1985-1988 (Class A), 1990 (Class A), 1994 (Class A), 1997 (Class A), 1999 (Class A), 2001 (Class A)
- Mock Trial Team : Rhode Island State Champions 2007, 2010, 2011, 2013
- Tom Cavanagh, Forward, Worcester Sharks
- Sara DeCosta, Goalie, 1998 and 2002 U.S. Women's Olympic Hockey Team
- Michaela McManus, class of 2001, actress
- Tony Petrarca, Chief Meteorologist, WPRI-TV
- Brian Shanley, President, Providence College
- David Petrarca, director; extensive theatre, film and television work including Big Love, True Blood, and Hung for HBO; over 40 world premieres including of Marvin's Room ( B'way and West End), Fuddy Meers (NYC), and A Year With Frog And Toad ( B'way).
- "Toll Gate High School". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey. Retrieved 2008-07-31.
- "Search for Public School Districts – District Detail for Warwick". National Center for Education Statistics. Institute of Education Sciences. Retrieved June 5, 2011.
- "Search for Public Schools - School Detail for Toll Gate High School". National Center for Education Statistics. Institute of Education Sciences. Retrieved June 5, 2011.
- Barbarisi, Daniel (2006-08-25). "Schools Supt. Shapiro sets sights firmly on retirement". Providence Journal.
- Mider, Zachary R. (2004-03-28). "Champs on ice, stars at home". Providence Journal.
- Janusonis, Michael (2006-08-11). "Memories of a 26-year winning streak". Providence Journal.
- Lee, Jessica T. (2003-10-31). "Center Ice and Center Stage". Harvard Crimson.
- Borg, Linda (2002-02-26). "Goal-tender moment: Olympic silver medalist Sara DeCosta returns to a heartfelt homecoming". Providence Journal.
The goalie who proved that girls could beat boys at their own game was embraced by family and friends on Tuesday, not only because her team won a silver medal at the Winter Olympics but because she was Sara from Toll Gate High School.
- "WPRI 12 - Eyewitness News - Tony Petrarca". WorldNow.
- Gillooly, John (2008-01-08). "High school hockey season gets a boost with Titans-Mount tie". Providence Journal.
Former Toll Gate High football player, and current Providence College president, the Rev. Brian Shanley, has been named recipient of the National Football Foundation Rhode Island Chapter’s 2008 Distinguished American Award.