|Owned by||MOBY Group|
|Picture format||1080p (HDTV) & 576i (SDTV), 16:9)|
|Audience share||41% (As of July 2010[update], )|
|Yahsat 1A 52.5°E||11785-H-27500-5/6|
Tolo TV (Persian: تلويزيون طلوع) is a commercial television station operating in Afghanistan. Launched in October 2004 by MOBY Group, it became one of the first commercial stations in the country and laid the foundation for an accessible media outlet by offering a large library of shows. It is currently Afghanistan's most popular television channel.
Tolo TV was first launched in Kabul but as of November 2007, has broadcasts in 14 cities in Afghanistan on free-to-air and throughout the region by satellite. Its sister channels are: TOLOnews and Lemar TV.
Afghanistan’s landmark drama series, Raaz Hai Een Khana ("The Secrets of This House") took the Special Award at the Seoul Drama Awards in October 2008. Screened on Tolo and produced by Kaboora Productions, Raaz Hai Een Khana is the first drama series ever entirely written, acted, filmed, produced and broadcast by Afghans, for Afghans in Afghanistan. It was selected for a Special Prize amongst 152 entries from 33 countries around the world.
Other popular programs include Chai Ba Azizyar, Maheman-e-Yar, Feker Wa Talash, Zang Khatar, Dahlezha, 6.30 Report, Emroz Emshab, Hai Maidan Tai Maidan', and a comedy drama called Hechland. Tolo TV also played Hindi serials dubbed into Dari, such as Kahaani Ghar Ghar Kii, Kasautii Zindagi Kay, Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi, and Virasaat (Sahara One). They currently are playing Phulwa
In March 2011, Tolo TV was rebranded, with a new look, a new logo, and minor design changes too. The new logo matches the design/style of TOLOnews' logo.
Criticism of availability
Afghans in Europe have complained that they cannot receive TOLO TV on their satellite. In Europe, TOLO TV is available on Eutelsat Sesat 2 / Express AM22 53°E, but in Western and Northern Europe, the signal strength is either very weak or no signal at all. Only residents in Eastern Europe can receive Sesat 2 / Express AM22. Because most Afghans in Europe are in the North and the West, TOLO TV is trying to make itself available on Hotbird - a satellite which most Afghans in Europe receive and watch other Afghan channels. Afghans in North America also cannot receive Tolo on Galaxy 25. The daily news programme, in both Dari and Pashto, is made available on the TOLOTV YouTube Channel.
- "The Network". Dogwoof Films. Retrieved 29 June 2013.
- Nordland, Rod; Sharifullah Sahak Contributed Reporting (21 November 2010). "On TV, an Afghan Unit Challenges Tradition And Tackles the Taliban". The New York Times. p. 12. Retrieved 16 June 2011.
- "Afghan TV police drama delivers message with zest". Los Angeles Times. 2010-12-08. Archived from the original on January 20, 2011. Retrieved 16 June 2011.
- "Afghan TV Show Aims To Burnish Police Reputation". NPR. Retrieved 16 June 2011.
- "U.S. Courts Afghans Through Television". The Wall Street Journal (Kabul: WSJ.com). November 17, 2010. Retrieved 16 June 2011.