Type of site
|Available in||English, French, Italian, Russian, Turkish|
|Created by||Thomas Pabst|
Tom's Hardware is an online publication owned by Future and focused on technology. It was founded in 1996 by Thomas Pabst. It provides articles, news, price comparisons, videos and reviews on computer hardware and high technology. The site features coverage on CPUs, motherboards, RAM, PC cases, graphic cards, display technology, power supplies and displays, storage, smartphones, tablets, gaming, consoles, and computer peripherals.
Tom's Hardware was founded in April 1996 as Tom's Hardware Guide in the United States by Thomas Pabst. It started using the domain tomshardware.com in September 2007 and was followed by several foreign language versions, including Italian, French, Finnish and Russian based on franchise agreements.
In April 2007, the site was acquired by the French company Bestofmedia Group. In July 2013, that company was acquired by TechMediaNetwork, Inc., which changed its name to Purch in April 2014.
Avram Piltch is the current editor-in-chief of Tom's Hardware. Prior to starting the position in 2018, he worked for sister sites Tom's Guide and Laptop Mag. Prior to that, John A. Burek, formerly of Computer Shopper, briefly held the role.
Burek succeeded Fritz Nelson, who served from August 2014 through 2017. Other former editors-in-chief include Chris Angelini (July 2008 – July 2014), Patrick Schmid (2005–2006), David Strom (2005), Omid Rahmat (1999–2003) and founder Thomas Pabst (1996–2001).
Tom's Hardware is owned by Purch, a subsidiary of Future plc, which also publishes a number of other publications. In technology, those include Tom's Guide (formerly Gear Digest), Laptop Mag and AnandTech, as well as science sites like LiveScience and Space.com.
In March 2018 the German spin-off was to be closed because of the new data/privacy laws, but continued as an independent site (tomshw.de), with an exclusive licence for the local usage of the brand name.
- Boutin, Paul (May 2001). "People: Thomas Pabst". Wired. Archived from the original on 25 October 2012. Retrieved 16 November 2013.
- "A Brief History of Tom's Hardware | Purch". www.purch.com. Retrieved 2018-05-15.
- Ferrario, Andrea (6 May 2013). "Tom's Hardware è cambiato, vi spieghiamo il perché". Tom's Hardware Italia. Retrieved 16 November 2013.
- "Presence PC et Tom's Hardware vont fusionner". Presence-PC. 12 November 2007. Retrieved 16 November 2013.
- Pyyny, Petteri (20 August 2010). "AfterDawn starts publishing Tom's Hardware in Nordic countries". AfterDawn. Retrieved 16 November 2013.
- "bmp beteiligt sich an Toms Hardware". AktienCheck. 6 October 1999. Retrieved 16 November 2013.
- Ali, Rafat (8 April 2007). "IT Professionals Network Tom's Hardware Guide Sold". PaidContent. Retrieved 16 November 2013.
- Brooke, Eliza (2 July 2013). "TechMedia Network Buys Bestofmedia Group And Steps Up Content-Commerce Integration". TechCrunch. Retrieved 16 November 2013.
- "Introducing Purch: The Definitive Buying Decision Platform". Market Wired. Retrieved 26 August 2014.
- "Tom's 20th Anniversary: A Retrospective With The Editors-in-Chief". Tom's Hardware. 2016-05-27. Retrieved 2018-05-16.
- "Tom's Hardware Launches First Worldwide Overclocking Championship". Bestofmedia Group. 6 November 2008. Archived from the original on 2013-11-05. Retrieved 16 November 2013.
- "Tom's Hardware Guide and iRobot Launch Create Challenge Contest for Robot Enthusiasts". Bestofmedia Group. 16 May 2007. Archived from the original on 2013-11-05. Retrieved 16 November 2013.
- "UK-Based Future Acquires Purch for $132.5 Million". Folio. 2018-07-19. Retrieved 2018-12-18.
- "Tom's Hardware". Future. Retrieved 2018-12-18.
- "About Us". Tom's Hardware. 2017-01-20. Retrieved 2018-05-16.
- Purch. "New Tom's Hardware Editor in Chief Descends on Las Vegas for CES". www.prnewswire.com. Retrieved 2018-05-16.
- "TG Publishing LLC, a Bestofmedia Group company, Rebrands Gear Digest to Tom's Guide". Bestofmedia Group. 18 September 2007. Archived from the original on 2013-08-28. Retrieved 16 November 2013.
- Smith, Ryan. "AnandTech Acquired By Purch". Retrieved 2018-05-16.
- "Past, present and future of TH.de" (in German). 2018-05-13.[dead link]
- "Igor´s LAB".
- Igor Wallosek. "Tomshardware.de schließt und IgorsLab kommt".