Tom's Restaurant in 2000
|Street address||2880 Broadway|
Morningside Heights, Manhattan
|City||New York City|
Tom's Restaurant is a diner located at 2880 Broadway (on the corner of West 112th Street) in the Morningside Heights neighborhood of Manhattan in New York City, and on the ground floor of Columbia University's Armstrong Hall, home to the Goddard Institute for Space Studies. Frequented by Columbia students and faculty, it has been owned and operated by the Greek-American family of Minas Zoulis since the 1940s.
Tom's Restaurant was the locale that inspired Suzanne Vega's 1987 song "Tom's Diner." Later, its exterior was used as a stand-in for the fictional Monk's Café in the television sitcom Seinfeld, where comedian Jerry Seinfeld's eponymous character and his friends regularly gathered to eat. The interior shown on the television show, however, looked very little like the real "Tom's", as indoor scenes were filmed on a set in Los Angeles.
Early Seinfeld episodes showed the entire neon sign; later, the "Tom's" portion was cropped out, showing only the "RESTAURANT" wraparound. Even though the interior and exterior have undergone minor remodeling since the show, the distinctive sign has remained the same. Tom's is featured in "Kramer's Reality Tour" conducted by Kenny Kramer.
Prior to Seinfeld, Tom's exterior had been seen on television in the 1978 The Bionic Woman episode "Long Live the King" at around the 27 minute mark of the DVD release.
- "Tom's Restaurant". New York Times. Retrieved 4 April 2013.
- Vines, Richard (2008-03-13). "Real 'Seinfeld' Restaurant Is New York Staple". Bloomberg. Retrieved 4 April 2013.
- "11 questions for Meghan McCain". Allday.Today.com. 2008-09-09. Retrieved 4 April 2013.
- "Recollections of Obama's Ex-Roommate". New York Times. 2009-01-20. Retrieved 11 August 2018.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Tom's Restaurant.|
- Tom's Restaurant Official Homepage
- Video shows Suzanne Vega talking about the Tom's Restaurant
- Morningside Heights: Tom's Restaurant
- VirtualNYC panoramic image of Tom's Restaurant
- Google Street View: 112th Street and Broadway