Tom's of Maine
|Industry||Personal care products|
|Founders||Tom and Kate Chappell|
|Esilda Seng (General Manager, 2019–present)|
Tom's of Maine is a brand name and manufacturing company of personal care products with only natural ingredients and a majority-owned subsidiary of Colgate-Palmolive since 2006. The company's products are intentionally made without ingredients that are chemically derived, environmentally damaging, or are tested on animals. While most of its products are vegan, some contain propolis and/or beeswax sourced from bees. The company was founded in 1970 by Tom and Kate Chappell in Maine, United States.
Tom's of Maine was founded by Tom and Kate Chappell in 1970 with US$5,000. The company is based in Kennebunk, Maine, US and is a division of multinational conglomerate Colgate-Palmolive. Tom's of Maine has approximately 120 employees. The company also employs factories elsewhere in the US and Canada via contract to produce some of their products.
Its approximately 90 oral- and body-care products are sold at more than 40,000 retail outlets worldwide. Their product lines include soaps, toothpastes, deodorants, and mouthwashes, among others. Their fluoride toothpastes are the only natural alternatives to common, industrial-ingredient dentifrices to earn the American Dental Association's Seal of Acceptance.
In 2006, a controlling 84% stake in Tom's of Maine was purchased by Colgate-Palmolive for US$100,000,000; the Chappells own the remaining sixteen percent. The terms of the purchase stipulate that the policies and company culture of the Tom's of Maine brand will be retained.
- "Colgate Purchasing Tom's of Maine - Tom's of Maine".
- "Product Certification - Tom's of Maine". Tom's of Maine. 302 Lafayette Center, Kennebunk, ME, 04043. Retrieved July 28, 2011.CS1 maint: location (link)
- "Ingredients Not In Our Products - Tom's of Maine". Tom's of Maine. 302 Lafayette Center, Kennebunk, ME, 04043. Retrieved July 28, 2011.CS1 maint: location (link)
- "Ingredient Fact Sheet: Propolis - Tom's of Maine". Tom's of Maine. 302 Lafayette Center, Kennebunk, ME, 04043. Archived from the original on December 7, 2008. Retrieved July 28, 2011.
At Tom’s of Maine, the propolis we use is harvested carefully, ensuring that no bees are harmed in the process.CS1 maint: location (link)
- "Fact Sheet". www.tomsofmaine.com. Retrieved 2021-03-25.
- "Colgate expands reach of quirky toothpaste". USATODAY.com. Gannett Co. Inc. The Associated Press. March 22, 2006. Retrieved July 28, 2011.