|Origin||New York City, United States|
|Genres||Blues, R&B, Rock|
|Instruments||Guitar, Vocals, Bass|
|Labels||True Groove Records|
|Associated acts||James Chance & The Contortions, Defunkt, Ivan Neville, Dumpstaphunk, Ivan Neville, Sadao Watanabe, Masabumi Kikuchi, Bootsy Collins, Yoko Ono, The Itals|
Tomás Doncker is an American musician, and the CEO of True Groove Records. In 2011 CNN credited him with creating a new genre, Global Soul. He is best known as the lead guitarist in James Chance and the Contortions.
Doncker cut his teeth as a guitarist with New York No Wave acts including James Chance & The Contortions, Defunkt and J. Walter Negro & The Loose Jointz among others. He is noted for touring and recording with Japanese jazz musicians Sadao Watanabe and Masabumi Kikuchi. This led to him to producing studio and songwriting sessions with Bootsy Collins, Yoko Ono, and The Itals.
Doncker has worked with artists including Madonna, Ivan Neville, Bonnie Raitt, Meshell Ndegeocello, Corey Glover of Living Colour, former Parliament Funkadelic keyboardist Amp Fiddler, Grammy winning producer/bassist Bill Laswell, Chocolate Genius, and 2016 Grammy award nominee Shemekia Copeland. His ongoing collaborations with Pulitzer Prize-winning poet Yusef Komunyakaa have received massive critical acclaim. He has produced hundreds of records for independent musicians. He is the founder and CEO True Groove Records.
In recent years Doncker has completed successful Chinese and European tours as a solo musician. He has also performed at the Geraldine R. Dodge Poetry Festival, Milwaukee Summerfest, and New York Summerstage. With James Chance and the Contortions he played six sold out shows at The Blue Note Tokyo in January 2016.
- Inside Out (2007)
- Small World Part 1 (2008)
- Power of the Trinity (2011)
- Howlin' Wolf EP" (2014)
- Power of the Trinity... A Slight Return (The Global Soul Mixtape Vol. 1) (2014)
- Moanin' At Midnight: The Howlin' Wolf Project (2014)
- Big Apple Blues (2014)
- The Mess We Made (2015)
- Frometa, RJ. "INTERVIEW: Tomás Doncker and Marla Mase of True Groove Records". Vents Magazine. Vents Magazine. Retrieved March 17, 2016.
- "Brooklyn soul musician taps into Africa". CNN Newsroom. CNN. Retrieved March 17, 2016.
- "Tomás Doncker". Elmore Magazine. Retrieved April 3, 2016.
- Voyce, MacEagon. "Review of The Tomás Doncker Band's 'Big Apple Blues'". AXS. AXS. Retrieved March 17, 2016.
- VillagegreenNJ. "Tomás Doncker to Perform at SOxSO Festival". The Village Green of Maplewood and South Orange. The Village Green. Retrieved March 17, 2016.
- Goesseringer Muj, Nicole (January 19, 2016). "Blues Artist Tomás Doncker – A Spokesman For Our Times". Jetset Magazine. Retrieved April 3, 2016.
- "Marla Mase & Tomás Doncker; Music , Global Soul and True Groove Records!". Blog Talk Radio. April 17, 2015. Retrieved March 17, 2016.
- Lamb, Julia (December 23, 2015). "Tomás Doncker – The Mess We Made". Musos' Guide. Retrieved April 3, 2016.
- "New Artist Reviews: Tomás Doncker". The Huffington Post. Retrieved April 3, 2016.
- "Marla Mase featuring legendary guitarist Tomás Doncker to tour Europe in support of Mase's new album". PR Buzz. PR Buzz. Retrieved March 17, 2016.
- Klamt, Layla. "Blues and Poetry: Tomás Doncker Band Merges Media [Review]". Guardian LV. Guardian LV. Retrieved March 17, 2016.
- Frometa, RJ. "The Power of the Trinity | Tomas Doncker's New Album & Stage Show". Vents Magazine. Vents Magazine. Retrieved March 17, 2016.
- Winn Akefu, Bessie A. "Diablo Love: Tomás Doncker & Alfred Preisser Bringing the Music of Howlin' Wolf to the SummerStage". Huffpost Arts & Culture. Huffington Post. Retrieved March 17, 2016.
- "【BLUE NOTE TOKYO】JAMES CHANCE & THE CONTORTIONS (2016 1.22 fri., 1.23 sat., 1.24 sun.)". Blue Note TOKYO. Retrieved April 3, 2016.
- "James Chance & the Contortions @ Blue Note Tokyo – The Japan Times". The Japan Times. Retrieved April 3, 2016.
- "Discography". All Music. All Music. Retrieved March 17, 2016.
- "The Tomás Doncker Band Hollers the Blues of Howlin' Wolf". The Huffington Post. Retrieved April 3, 2016.
- "Discography". CD Universe. CD Universe. Retrieved March 17, 2016.
- Fanelli, Damian. "Tomás Doncker Band Cover Howlin' Wolf's "Evil" – Exclusive Premiere". Guitar World. New Bay Media. Retrieved March 17, 2016.
- "CD Review: Big Apple Blues". The Huffington Post. Retrieved April 3, 2016.