In 1979 he was a founding member of Wandsworth Photo Co-op which grew into Photofusion, London's largest independent photography resource [better source needed] A specialist in travel and digital photography, he has photographed extensively in Central Asia.
He is the author of 25 books on photography and video.
Life and work
Ang was a senior lecturer in photographic practice at the University of Westminster from 1991–2004 teaching on the undergraduate photography programmes, as well as on the Masters in Journalism Studies. He also created the MA Photographic Journalism course. For over 10 years he specialized in photographing Central Asia, extensively traveling in Uzbekistan and Kyrgyzstan, with a few visits to Kazakhstan and Tajikistan. He led a Know How Fund project (within the REAP (Regional Academic Partnership) scheme) that helped equip a radio studio for radio students and which reformed the journalism curriculum for the Kyrgyz Russian Slavonic University in Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan.
Ang is a founding member of the World Photographic Academy and helped set up the Student Focus element of the Sony World Photography Awards. He juried the Czech Press Photo in 2009, Hamdan International Photography Award and Wildlife Photographer of the Year.
Ang was presenter of the BBC series "A Digital Picture of Britain", first transmitted in 2005 on BBC4. A second series, entitled "Britain in Pictures" was transmitted in 2007. He presented an 8-part TV series for Channel News Asia in Singapore which was broadcast in August 2009 (Bronze World Medal, Educational / Instructional, New York Television and Film Awards, 2010).
- The Complete Photographer, 2016, ISBN 1465447571
- Photography – the definitive visual history, 2015, ISBN 1465422889
- Digital Photography Masterclass, 2013, ISBN 1465408568
- Digital Photographer’s Handbook (now in 6th edition), 2013, ISBN 1465408568
- How to Photograph Absolutely Everything, 2009, ISBN 0756643082
- Fundamentals of Photography, 2008, ISBN 0375711570
- Eyewitness Companion: Photography, 2005, ISBN 0756613256
- Picture Editing, 2000, ISBN 0240516184
- Tao of Photography, 2000, ISBN 0817460047
- Advanced Digital Photography.
- Digital Video Handbook.
- Winner, Thomas Cook Travel Book Award for best Illustrated Travel Book for his coverage of the Marco Polo Expedition.[not in citation given]
- Sharma, Parul (10 May 2009). "Jamia team does the country proud". The Hindu. Archived from the original on 10 November 2012. Retrieved 3 August 2011.
-  Photofusion site.
- "Tom Ang (Author)". Penguin Books Australia. Retrieved December 24, 2011.
- "A Digital Picture of Britain – Judges". BBC. Retrieved January 1, 2012.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2014-07-13. Retrieved 2014-05-22. World Photographic Academy members.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2014-08-12. Retrieved 2014-05-22. CPP jury 2009
-  HIPA Beauty of Light judges
-  Wildlife Photographer of the Year jury members
- . List of Award Winners, New York Festivals Television & Film Awards, 2010.