Tom Arnold (economist)
|Occupation||Director General of IIEA, former CEO of Concern Worldwide and special representative for hunger.|
Tom Arnold is an Irish agricultural economist and public policy advisor who has worked in the Irish civil service and served on various non-governmental organisations and public forums, mainly in the area of food security.
In August 2014, Arnold accepted a request from the UN to coordinate the Scaling Up Nutrition Movement  (SUN Movement), which brings together governments, civil society and the private sector, to improve nutrition at national and international level. The request was made following the appointment by UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon of Dr David Nabarro, the current Coordinator of the SUN Movement, to be the UN System Senior Coordinator of the Response to the Ebola Virus Disease. In Dr Nabarro’s absence as SUN Coordinator, Arnold will provide strategic leadership to the SUN Movement, working closely with the existing SUN Networks and the SUN Secretariat, based in Geneva. The appointment is for a six-month period, starting 1 September 2014.
In November 2013, Arnold took up the appointment as Director General of the Institute of International and European Affairs.
Arnold holds the position of Concern's Special Representative for Hunger.
As a civil servant, he worked in the Department of Agriculture, latterly as chief economist (1988–93) and assistant secretary general (1993–2001), where he supervised Ireland's implementation of the EU's Single Payment Scheme.
Boards and committees
Arnold has presided (as chair, coordinator, director general, etc.) over:-
- The Irish Times Trust.
- Mary Robinson Foundation from Climate Justice.
- The Irish Times group's governing board and trust.
- the Irish Council of the European Movement (1991–93);
- EuronAid, a food security NGO network, (1992–96);
- the OECD's agriculture committee (1993–98).
- The Institute of International and European Affairs, an Irish think-tank
- The United Nations Scaling Up Nutrition (SUN) Movement
He has been a member of:-
- Mary Robinson Foundation board
- Consultative Group for International Agricultural Research consortium board 
- Central Emergency Response Fund advisory board
- International Food Policy Research Institute advisory council
- "The 2013 People of the Year Award Winners". Irish Independent. 15 September 2013. Retrieved 13 February 2015.