Life and career
Bethell was born and raised in London, England. He was educated at Downside School and Trinity College, Oxford. A resident of the District of Columbia, he has lived in Virginia, Louisiana, and California. He is married to Donna R. Fitzpatrick of Washington, D.C. He is a senior editor of The American Spectator and member of the Hoover Institution. He was formerly Washington editor of Harper's, and an editor of the Washington Monthly.
Bethell is a member of the Group for the Scientific Reappraisal of the HIV-AIDS Hypothesis which denies that HIV causes AIDS. In the The Politically Incorrect Guide to Science (2005), he promotes skepticism of the existence of man-made global warming, AIDS denialism, and skepticism of evolution (which Bethell denies is "real science"), promoting intelligent design instead. Bethell was hired as a researcher by New Orleans district attorney Jim Garrison to assist with his prosecution of Clay Shaw for conspiracy to assassinate John F. Kennedy. Bethell gives no credence to Garrison's charges that Shaw was involved. Bethell has written at least one article (American Spectator. Dec 98, Vol. 31 Issue 12, p. 20. 2p.) where he states "For about two years, I worked on New Orleans district attorney Jim Garrison's bizarre investigation of the Kennedy assassination" without disclosing that he was terminated by said investigation for providing Clay Shaw's' defense team with information they may not have had a legal right to and certainly did not have a right to at the time he provided said information.
- Noblest Triumph: Property and Prosperity through the Ages (1998) St Martin's Press.
- The Politically Incorrect Guide to Science (2005) Regnery Press.
- Eric Hoffer: The Longshoreman Philosopher (2012) Hoover Institution Press.
- "Questioning Einstein: Is Relativity Necessary?" (2009) Vales Lake Publishing, LLC.
- See: Jerry P. Shinley Archive: Thomas Bethell: Biographical Sketch from CA
- Trinity College, Oxford – missing members
- Tom Bethell explains why property matters
- Tom Bethell, Beliefnet Columnist Beliefnet.com Accessed July 20, 2008
- Biography at Property Rights Foundation of America, Inc.
- AIDS proposal. Group for the Scientific Reappraisal of the HIV/AIDS Hypothesis.
- Don’t Fear the Designer Tom Bethell
- Banned in Biology Washington Times December 25, 2005
- Tom Bethell, "Reality Check for Another Movie Myth," Los Angeles Times, December 1, 1991.
- Tom Bethell, "Was Sirhan Sirhan on the Grassy Knoll?", The Washington Monthly, March 1975.
- A Farewell to Justice. Mellen, Joan. 2005. Potomic Books, Washington, DC. ppt 6, 292–93