Tom Bethell (//; born July 17, 1936) is a journalist who writes mainly on economic and scientific issues, and is known for his writings on the market economy, political conservatism, and fringe science.
Life and career
Bethell was born and raised in London, England. He was educated at Downside School and Trinity College, Oxford. A resident of the District of Columbia, he has lived in Virginia, Louisiana, and California. He is married to Donna R. Fitzpatrick of Washington, D.C. He is a senior editor of The American Spectator and was for 25 years a media fellow of the Hoover Institution. He was formerly Washington editor of Harper's, and an editor of the Washington Monthly.
Bethell was a member of the Group for the Scientific Reappraisal of the HIV-AIDS Hypothesis which denies that HIV causes AIDS. In The Politically Incorrect Guide to Science (2005), he promotes denial of the existence of man-made global warming, AIDS denialism, and denial of evolution (which Bethell denies is "real science"), promoting intelligent design instead. Bethell was hired as a researcher by New Orleans district attorney Jim Garrison to assist with his prosecution of Clay Shaw for conspiracy to assassinate John F. Kennedy. Bethell gives no credence to Garrison's charges that Shaw was involved. Shaw was acquitted after the jury deliberated for about an hour. Later, Bethell admitted to being a spy in the Garrison investigation to distort and bring harm to the JFK investigation, as well as stealing documents from the home of Penn Jones, one of the earliest researchers.
- Noblest Triumph: Property and Prosperity through the Ages (1998) St Martin's Press.
- The Politically Incorrect Guide to Science (2005) Regnery Press.
- Eric Hoffer: The Longshoreman Philosopher (2012) Hoover Institution Press.
- Questioning Einstein: Is Relativity Necessary? (2009) Vales Lake Publishing, LLC.
- Darwin's House of Cards (2017) The Discovery Institute Press
- See: Jerry P. Shinley Archive: Thomas Bethell: Biographical Sketch from CA
- Trinity College, Oxford – missing members
- Tom Bethell explains why property matters
- Tom Bethell, Beliefnet Columnist Beliefnet.com Accessed July 20, 2008
- Biography at Property Rights Foundation of America, Inc.
- AIDS proposal. Group for the Scientific Reappraisal of the HIV/AIDS Hypothesis.
- Don’t Fear the Designer Tom Bethell
- Banned in Biology Washington Times December 25, 2005
- Tom Bethell, "Reality Check for Another Movie Myth," Los Angeles Times, December 1, 1991.
- Tom Bethell, "Was Sirhan Sirhan on the Grassy Knoll?", The Washington Monthly, March 1975.