Tom Burgess (rugby league)
|Full name||Thomas Burgess|
21 April 1992 |
Dewsbury, West Yorkshire, England
|Height||196 cm (6 ft 5 in)|
|Weight||120 kg (18 st 13 lb)|
|2016||World All Stars||1||0||0||0||0|
|As of 14 November 2015|
|Source: Rugby League Project|
Thomas 'Tom' Burgess (born 21 April 1992) is an English professional rugby league player who currently plays for the South Sydney Rabbitohs of the National Rugby League. Burgess primarily plays at prop. Burgess is an England national and World All Stars representative. Burgess played in the Rabbitohs 2014 NRL Premiership winning team alongside his twin brother George Burgess and older brother Sam Burgess. Burgess is also the younger brother of Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles player Luke Burgess. Burgess previously played for the Bradford Bulls in 2011-2012.
Burgess was born on 21 April 1992 in Dewsbury, West Yorkshire. His father, Mark Burgess who died of Motor neurone disease, was also a rugby league footballer who played for Nottingham City, Rochdale Hornets, Dewsbury Rams and Hunslet; whilst his mother Julie is a teacher, currently employed at The Scots College in Bellevue Hill, Sydney. Burgess is brother of Luke and fellow South Sydney Rabbitohs players Sam and twin-brother George. Burgess attended Castle Hall Academy to receive a secondary education before becoming a professional rugby league player. He played his junior rugby league for Dewsbury Moor. Burgess was a product of the Leeds Rhinos junior development system, before moving onto Bradford Bulls.
Burgess first featured in three of the four pre-season friendlies of the 2011 season, playing against Halifax RLFC, Dewsbury Rams and Wakefield Trinity Wildcats. He made his Super League debut in Round 8 against the London Broncos off the interchange bench in the Bulls 24-22 win. In Round 20 against the Catalans Dragons, Burgess scored his first Super League try in the Bulls 34-28 loss. Burgess also played in both Challenge Cup games against Halifax RLFC and Wigan Warriors, scoring against Halifax. He played in 20 matches and scored 2 tries in 2011.
On 6 August, it was announced that Burgess had signed a one-year deal with the South Sydney Rabbitohs for 2013, joining brothers Sam, Luke and George. Burgess scored one try from 25 matches for the season. He was selected in the England Knights squad for the 2012 European Cup. Burgess made his Knights debut in the 56–4 win over Ireland scoring a try in the process. In this competition he also featured in the 62–24 win over Scotland.
In Round 15, Burgess made his NRL debut for the Rabbitohs against the Parramatta Eels, playing off the interchange bench in the 30-10 win at ANZ Stadium. In August, against the Wests Tigers, the Burgess Brothers became the first set of four brothers to line up in the same Australian side since Ray, Roy, Rex and Bernard Norman played for Sydney's Annandale club in the 1910 NSWRFL season. The Rabbitohs won 32-18 at SFS. Burgess finished his debut year in the NRL with 9 appearances. He joined England's 24-man squad for the World Cup, and played in 2 matches.
Burgess returned to first grade in Round 11. In Round 21 against the Newcastle Knights at Barlow Park in Cairns, Burgess scored his first NRL try in the Rabbitohs smashing 50-10 win. On 5 October, in the Rabbitohs 2014 NRL Grand Final match against the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs, Burgess played off the interchange bench in the Rabbitohs 30-6 victory alongside his brothers George and Sam Burgess. Burgess finished the season with one try from 17 matches . Burgess was selected in the English final 24-man squad for the Four Nations series, and played in all 3 matches of the tournament.
On 23 February, Burgess played for the Rabbitohs in the 2015 World Club Challenge match against 2014 Super League Grand Final premiers St Helens, playing off the interchange bench in the 39-0 win at Langtree Park. Burgess extended his contract with the Rabbitohs to the end of the 2017 season after scoring 2 tries from his 24 appearances.
Burgess scored his first international try in England's 84-4 shellacking win over France at Leigh. He then played in the end of year test series against New Zealand, appearing in all 3 matches off the interchange bench in England's 2-1 Baskerville Shield series win. In December, Burgess trialled and trained with NFL teams the Seattle Seahawks and Buffalo Bills after he attracted interest from the clubs.
- "Tom Burgess". englandrl.co.uk. Retrieved 15 January 2014.
- "The official Engage Super League web site". web page. Super League. Retrieved 21 August 2011.
- Irvine, Christopher (26 October 2007). "Sam Burgess inspired by memory of late father". The Times Online. Retrieved 17 September 2009.
- "Meet the magnificent Mrs Burgess". Daily Telegraph.
- "Bulls snap up Burgess twins". Halifax Evening Courier. 17 January 2008. Retrieved 17 September 2009.
- "Burgess brothers are back on family business for England in World Cup". Telegraph.co.uk. 11 October 2013.
- "Bulls hold off Pryce bid". Sky Sports. Archived from the original on 4 January 2015.
- "Catalans humble Bulls". Sky Sports. Archived from the original on 4 January 2015.
- Glenn Jackson. "Burgess boys to pack in for Souths". Sydney Morning Herald.
- Adrian Warren (8 March 2016). "South Sydney Rabbitohs beats Parramatte Eels to go three clear on the NRL ladder". Fox Sports. Retrieved 9 March 2016.
- "South Sydney rabbitohs leave it late to run down Wests Tigers in Benji Marshall's 200th NRL game". Daily Telegraph.
- "Three Burgess brothers named in England World Cup squad". The Sydney Morning Herald.
- Paul Crawley (8 March 2016). "The Rabbitohs have beaten the Sharks 18-0 at Remondis Stadium". Fox Sports. Retrieved 9 March 2016.
- Barry Toohey (8 March 2016). "South Sydney Rabbitohs beat Newcastle Knights 50-10 at Barlow Park in Cairns". Fox Sports. Retrieved 9 March 2016.
- Dan Walsh. "Rabbitohs Grand Final Player Ratings". NRL.com.
- "ENGLAND NAME 2014 FOUR NATIONS SQUAD". Rugby League Week.
- Mike Colman (8 March 2016). "World Club Challenge: South Sydney Rabbitohs thrash St Helens Saints to complete Aussie series sweep". Fox Sports. Retrieved 9 March 2016.
- "Rabbitohs extend contracts of Burgess and Tyrrell". nrl.com.
- "England demolish France 84-4 in record win". Skysports.com. Retrieved 24 October 2015.
- "England squad named for NZ series". NRL.com.
- "Hosts take series with nervy 20-14 win over Kiwis in Wigan". Daily Telegraph.
- "Tom Burgess NFL: South Sydney Rabbitohs star at New York Giants". NewsComAu. 3 December 2015.
- Melanie Dinjaski (8 March 2016). "South Sydney rugby league star Tom Burgess works out with New York Giants". Fox Sports. Retrieved 9 March 2016.
- "Rabbitohs name 2016 Nines squad - Rugby League Week". Rugby League Week. Retrieved 9 March 2016.
- "World All Stars defeat Indigenous All Star 12-8 at Suncorp Stadium". Daily Telegraph.
- "All Stars, trial games team lists". NRL - The official site of the National Rugby League - NRL.com. Retrieved 9 March 2016.