|Birth name||Thomas Louis Chapman|
15 May 1972 |
|Instruments||Bass, guitars, keyboards|
|Associated acts||New Order, Bad Lieutenant, Rubberbear|
Chapman joined English alternative rock band Bad Lieutenant, formed by Bernard Sumner during a break from New Order, in 2009 as bass player. The band also featured Phil Cunningham (guitars), Jake Evans (guitars and vocals), Alex James (bass), Jack Mitchell (drums), and Stephen Morris (drums).
In September 2011, New Order played two charity gigs at the Ancienne Belgique, Brussels on 17 October and at the Bataclan, Paris on 18 October, to benefit the group’s long-standing collaborator Michael Shamberg. Chapman was invited by the remaining group members to replace former bassist Peter Hook for the two dates. Following these two concerts, the band received tour offers from across the world; and Chapman joined as they proceeded to tour extensively from 2011 to 2013.
In January 2014, the band announced that they were to perform live at the 24th Annual Tibet House Benefit Concert on 11 March, alongside Iggy Pop, Patti Smith, and Philip Glass. The band revealed via their official Facebook page that the set would be performed by just three members of the band; featuring Chapman alongside singer Bernard Sumner and guitarist Phil Cunningham.
In 2013, the band commenced recording sessions on new material, including Chapman on co-writing duties. The product of these sessions was New Order's 10th album, Music Complete, which was released on 25 September 2015.
Since 2013 Tom Chapman has also been working with Steve Trafford (ex The Fall) as a duo called Rubberbear. The band has released three EPs and have performed several live gigs throughout the UK. The music video for their debut single "Let's Move Somewhere Else" features the critically acclaimed actress Maxine Peake. In July 2014 the band announced they had signed a deal with Republic of Music, and their EP Other Side of the Fence was released on the label on 14 September 2014.
Tom Chapman has recently played various instruments and co-written two songs with Phil Cunningham on Xander Smith's solo record Outside released in May 2014. Xander Smith is a member of the LA band Run Run Run.
- What Are You Waiting 4 EP (2002)
- Better Than the Real Thing (featuring Jez Kerr) (2003)
- New Puppet Motion EP (2002)
- You Change Everything EP (2003)
Starless and Bibleblack
- Self Titled (2006)
- The Cross Eyed Rambler (2008)
- Live at the London Troxy (2011)
- Live at Bestival 2012 (2012)
- Music Complete (2015)
- Complete Music (2016)
- NOMC15 (2017)
- Let's Move Somewhere Else EP (2013)
- Elements EP (2014)
- Other Side of the Fence EP (2014)
- Outside (2014)
- Day One (2015)
Chapman uses Fender Basses and a Music Man StingRay for live performances. Whilst recording with New Order in 2013 and 2014, Chapman used a Fender Precision Bass. He also plays keyboards and guitar.
- Kellman, Andy. "Bad Lieutenant biography". Billboard. Retrieved 22 January 2014.
- Michaels, Sean. "New Order reunite without Peter Hook". The Guardian. Retrieved 22 January 2014.
- Goggins, Joe. "Interview: New Order". The Mancunion. Retrieved 22 January 2014.
- "Iggy Pop, New Order, Patti Smith to play Tibet House benefit concert". Uncut.
- "Bernard, Phil and Tom from New Order will be performing at the 24th Annual Tibet House Benefit Concert". New Order Official Facebook Page.
- "New Order confirm they will begin work on new material in early 2013". NME.
- "EXCLUSIVE Interview: Get To Know Rubberbear". PRO MOTION. 2014-07-08. Retrieved 2015-11-08.
- "Other Side of the Fence (Deluxe Version) - EP by Rubberbear on iTunes". iTunes. Retrieved 2015-11-08.