from the trailer for the film Meet Me in St. Louis (1944).
|Born||Alfred Sinclair Alderdice
August 5, 1918
Brooklyn, New York, US
|Died||August 11, 1982 (age 64)
Torrance, California, US
|Other names||Richard Alden|
|Spouse(s)||Isabelle Dunn (1945–1946) (divorced)|
Tom Drake (August 5, 1918 – August 11, 1982), born Alfred Sinclair Alderdice in Brooklyn, New York, was an American actor. Drake made films starting in 1940 and continuing until the mid-1970s, and also made TV acting appearances.
Drake was excused from serving in World War II due to heart problems. Despite this limitation, he did act in British training films. He got his break after starring in the 1942 Broadway smash Janie, after which he was signed to a contract with Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer. He began his film career using the name Richard Alden.
After a number of films, Drake co-starred with Judy Garland in Meet Me in St. Louis (1944) as John Truett, the boy next door. He appeared in more than forty films in all, including Mrs. Parkington (1944), The Green Years (1946), Cass Timberlane (1947), as composer Richard Rodgers in the loosely-based biography Words and Music (1948) and, in a role at the opposite end of the character spectrum from John Truett, as the leader of a gang of criminals in Warlock (1959). He also had a minor role in the movie The Singing Nun (1966), playing Ed Sullivan's producer Mr. Fitzpatrick.
From 1950 thereafter, Drake had roles in numerous television series, such as NBC's Cimarron City and Banacek, ABC's 77 Sunset Strip, Land of the Giants and The Streets of San Francisco, CBS's Perry Mason and Lassie.
Tom Drake was married to Isabelle Dunn during the 1940s.
- Our Town (1940) (film debut)
- The Howards of Virginia (1940)
- Northern Pursuit (1943)
- Two Girls and a Sailor (1944)
- The White Cliffs of Dover (1944)
- Maisie Goes to Reno (1944)
- Marriage Is a Private Affair (1944)
- Mrs. Parkington (1944)
- Meet Me in St. Louis (1944)
- This Man's Navy (1945)
- The Green Years (1946)
- Courage of Lassie (1946)
- Faithful in My Fashion (1946)
- I'll Be Yours (1947)
- The Beginning or the End (1947)
- Cass Timberlane (1947)
- Alias a Gentleman (1948)
- Hills of Home (1948)
- Words and Music (1948)
- Mr. Belvedere Goes to College (1949)
- Scene of the Crime (1949)
- The Great Rupert (1950)
- Never Trust a Gambler (1951)
- Sangaree (1953)
- Sudden Danger (1955)
- The Cyclops (1957)
- Date with Disaster (1957)
- Raintree County (1957)
- Warlock (1959)
- The Bramble Bush (1960)
- The Sandpiper (1965)
- Johnny Reno (1966)
- The Singing Nun (1966)
- Red Tomahawk (1967)
- Deadly Inheritance (1968)
- Warkill (1968)
- Cycle Psycho (1973)
- The Spectre of Edgar Allan Poe (1974) (final film)
- Ellenberger, Allan R. (2001). Celebrities in Los Angeles Cemeteries: A Directory. McFarland. p. 162. ISBN 9780786450190. Retrieved 11 June 2017.
- Classic Images bio. Retrieved 11th December 2008
- Replacement Cast information for Janie at Internet Broadway Database
- Room, Adrian (2010). Dictionary of Pseudonyms: 13,000 Assumed Names and Their Origins, 5th ed. McFarland. p. 153. ISBN 9780786457632. Retrieved 11 June 2017.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Tom Drake.|