Tom Ellis (actor)
Ellis in July 2015
|Born||Thomas John Ellis
17 November 1978 
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom
|Spouse(s)||Tamzin Outhwaite (2006–2014)|
Thomas John "Tom" Ellis (born 17 November 1978) is a Welsh actor from Cardiff, Wales, known for playing Dr. Oliver Cousins in the BBC One soap opera EastEnders and Detective Sergeant Sam Speed in a Life on Mars parody on The Catherine Tate Show. He was also Sam in the BBC One comedy Pulling and he played Gary in the BBC Two/BBC One comedy Miranda. He is known to audiences in the United States for two American television shows in which he plays the title character, USA Network's Rush and Fox's Lucifer.
Ellis was born in Cardiff, the son of Marilyn Jean (Hooper) and Christopher John Ellis. His father, sister and uncle are all Baptist ministers, with his uncle, Robert Ellis, being principal of Regent's Park College, Oxford, which his father also attended. Ellis attended High Storrs School in Sheffield during his education and was a French Horn player in the City of Sheffield Youth Orchestra. Ellis was married to actress Tamzin Outhwaite from 2006 to 2014. On 25 June 2008 she gave birth to their first daughter, Florence Elsie. He has another daughter, Nora, from a previous relationship. On 20 December 2008 the pair appeared on the ITV gameshow All Star Mr & Mrs Christmas Special. On 19 March 2012 Ellis announced via his Twitter account that Outhwaite was pregnant with their second daughter, Marnie Mae, who was born on 2 August 2012. On 29 August 2013 Ellis and Outhwaite announced their separation. Their spokesperson stated that the couple had separated and the following month, Outhwaite filed for divorce, citing Ellis' infidelity as the grounds for dissolution of the marriage.
Other notable roles include Justyn in Channel 4's No Angels and Thomas Milligan in the series three finale of resurrected BBC One science-fiction television programme Doctor Who. In July and August 2009, Ellis starred in ITV comedy drama Monday Monday with Fay Ripley. In 2013, he was cast as Victor Frankenstein ("a brilliant doctor who's trying to find a way to bring his late daughter, Anna, back to life") in the ABC pilot series Gothica, a modern-day supernatural drama. Ellis was the star of the USA network series Rush, playing a Hollywood physician. In February 2015, it was announced that Ellis was cast as Lucifer Morningstar in the Fox Television drama Lucifer, based on the comic with the same name, which premiered on 25 January 2016.
|2001||The Life and Adventures of Nicholas Nickleby||John Browdie|
|2001–02||Nice Guy Eddie||Frank Bennett|
|2001||High Heels and Low Lifes||Police Officer|
|I'll Be There||Ivor|
|2004||Messiah III: The Promise||Dr. Phillip Ryder|
|Vera Drake||Police Officer|
|2005||Much Ado About Nothing||Claude|
|Midsomer Murders||Lee Smeeton||Episode: "Midsomer Rhapsody"|
|Waking the Dead||Harry Taylor||Episode: "Straw Dog"|
|2006||EastEnders||Dr. Oliver Cousins|
|The Catherine Tate Show||Detective Sergeant Sam Speed|
|2007||Suburban Shootout||P.C. Haines|
|Doctor Who||Tom Milligan|
|The Catherine Tate Christmas Show||Detective Sergeant Sam Speed|
|2008||Trial & Retribution||Nick Fisher|
|The Passion||Apostle Philip/Philip|
|2011||The Fades||Mark Etches|
|The Secret of Crickley Hall||Gabe Caleigh|
|2013||Once Upon a Time||Robin Hood||Episode: "Lacey"|
|2014||Rush||Dr. William Rush||Lead role|
|2015||The Strain||Rob Bradley|
|2016–present||Lucifer||Lucifer Morningstar||Lead role|
- "BBC Website on Miranda".
- Kelby McNally. "Tamzin Outhwaite 'files for divorce from Tom Ellis, citing adultery'", Express, 10 September 2013.
- (No author.) "Tamzin Outhwaite 'Divorcing' Tom Ellis After He Reportedly Admits Cheating With One-Night Stand", Huffington Post UK, 9 October 2013.
- Kelby McNally. "'We're all moving forward' Tom Ellis speaks out about Tamzin Outhwaite split", Express, 19 September 2013.
- Miranda's Tom Ellis to play Frankenstein in US pilot Gothica Radio Times. 22 February 2013.
- Hibberd, James (February 22, 2013). "Hollywood Insider: What's Going on Behind the Scenes: TV's Pilot Season Goes (Very) High-Concept". Entertainment Weekly. New York: Time Inc.: 26.
- "Tom Ellis, The Fades, Pulling, and Miranda, Gothica (TV 2013)". Dread Central. Retrieved March 18, 2013.
- "Lucifer – Tom Ellis Gets His Horns". Dread Central. Retrieved March 18, 2013.