|13th President of the|
University of New Mexico
|Preceded by||John Perovich|
|Dean of the Josef Korbel School of International Studies|
|Succeeded by||Christopher R. Hill|
|Alma mater||Harvard Law School|
Tom Farer, (born 1935) is an American academic, author and former president of the University of New Mexico. Since ending his tenure at New Mexico in 1986, Farer served as dean of the Josef Korbel School of International Studies at the University of Denver from 1996 to 2010. He is currently a university professor of international relations at the Josef Korbel School.
Farer earned his bachelor's degree from Princeton University, graduating summa cum laude. He then received his juris doctorate from Harvard University's Law School. Following law school, Farer worked as a senior research fellow of the Carnegie Foundation and the Council on Foreign Relations.
As an academic, Farer is considered an expert on international relations as well as international politics and law. He has previously held faculty positions at Cambridge University, American University, Tulane Law School, Harvard Law School, Princeton University, Johns Hopkins University, Rutgers University and Columbia Law School.
Due to controversy surrounding his rapport with the University of New Mexico's Board of Regents, Farer served only one year as president before stepping down. He subsequently became a professor at the University of New Mexico School of Law.
- Financing African Development (1965)
- Warclouds on the Horn of Africa (1976)
- Toward a Humanitarian Foreign Policy: A Primer for Policy (1980)
- The Grand Strategy of the United States in Latin America (1988)
- U.S. Ends and Means in Central America (1988, co-author)
- Beyond Sovereignty: Collectively Defending Democracy in the Western Hemisphere (1996)
- Transnational Crime in the Americas (1999)
- Confronting Global Terrorism and American Neo-Conservatism: The Framework of Liberal Grand Strategy (2008)
- "Tom Farer" (PDF). University of New Mexico Presidents. University of New Mexico. Retrieved 2 November 2012.
- "Tom Farer Faculty Page". Josef Korbel School of International Studies. University of Denver. Archived from the original on 4 December 2012. Retrieved 2 November 2012.
- "Tom Farer". Huffington Post. Retrieved 2 November 2012.