Tom Fleming (actor)
His acting career began in 1945. He co-founded the Gateway Theatre in Edinburgh in 1953 before joining the Royal Shakespeare Company in 1962. That year he played the title role in William Gaskill's production of Cymbeline. In 1965, he founded a company at the Royal Lyceum Theatre in Edinburgh. He also became the director of The Scottish Theatre Company for most of its years in the 1980s. On television, he played the title role in the 1956 BBC children's series Jesus of Nazareth. In 1983, he played the part of Lord Reith, the BBC's first Director General, in a two-part BBC production written by Roger Milner, entitled simply Reith.
He was a commentator for the BBC telecast of the Edinburgh Military Tattoo from 1966 until 2008. He was the BBC commentator for the Eurovision Song Contest 1972 in Edinburgh. He was a commentator on BBC television coverage of state events, such as the annual Remembrance Sunday service, royal weddings and ceremonial funerals.
Honours and awards
Personal life and Death
Fleming, who never married, was organist, lay preacher, secretary and reader at the Canonmills Baptist church in Edinburgh. After a long illness he died in St Columba's Hospice in Edinburgh on the night of Sunday 18 April 2010.
- Obituary The Times, 21 April 2010.
- Obituary London Guardian, 21 April 2010.
- Lord John Reith biography, screenonline.org.uk; accessed 10 July 2014.
- "The Eurovision Song Contest (1972) (TV)". IMDb. Retrieved 22 June 2008.
- The London Gazette: . 7 January 1980.
- The London Gazette: . 15 June 1998.
- firstname.lastname@example.org. "Heriot-Watt University Edinburgh: Honorary Graduates". www1.hw.ac.uk. Retrieved 2016-04-05.
- Obituary The Daily Telegraph, 21 April 2010.
- "'Voice' of Tattoo dies aged 82". BBC News. 19 April 2010.
- Tom Fleming at the Internet Movie Database
- The Edinburgh Sir Walter Scott Club
- Gazetteer for Scotland
- Obituary in 'The Scotsman'
- Obituary in 'The Guardian'
- Obituary in 'The Daily Telegraph'
Dave Lee Travis
|Eurovision Song Contest UK Commentator