|Productions||1980 West End
1981 Off Broadway
Devised and produced by Cameron Mackintosh, it premiered in London at the Criterion Theatre, directed by Gillian Lynne, on 5 June 1980, where it had a successful run. It subsequently opened on December 14, 1981 off-Broadway at the Top of the Gate in Greenwich Village, New York, where it ran for 120 performances. The cast included Jonathan Hadary. Lehrer himself was brought in as a consultant.
The revue features 28 of Lehrer's satirical songs that were written in the 1950s and 60s, known for their "witty naughtiness". Stage directions suggest each actor use their own name and wait onstage in a bar area while the others perform.
The following two songs are optional:
- Send The Marines
- The Wiener Schnitzel Waltz
- Tomfoolery production and plot information www.nodanw.com, accessed December 7, 2008
- Tomfoolery production and show information mtishows.com, accessed December 7, 2008
- Rich, Frank."Tomfoolery, A Revue of Lehrer Lyrics", The New York Times, December 15, 1981
- Tomfoolery 1980 Original cast recording listing on amazon.com www.amazon.com, accessed December 7, 2008
- Piano Conductor Score, Act 1 and Act 2, Tomfoolery (as published by Music Theatre International