Early life and education
Gardner attended Brown University, graduating in 1990 with a B.A. with honors in English and creative writing. He later pursued two master's degrees at the University of Montana but left the programs to return to the D.C. area as the Motley Fool was gaining momentum. He received an honorary PhD in humane letters from Strayer University in 2000.
In 1993, he and his older brother, David Gardner, started the Motley Fool as a vehicle for teaching people about saving and investing in stocks. Gardner is the author of The Motley Fool Hidden Gems newsletter, which aims to find the most promising small public companies for investment, and The Motley Fool Stock Advisor newsletter, in which he competes with his brother, David. The two had learned how to invest from their father.
The Gardner brothers have co-authored several books, including The Motley Fool Investment Guide, You Have More Than You Think, Rule Breakers, Rule Makers, and The Motley Fool Investment Guide for Teens.
- "About The Motley Fool". The Motley Fool. Retrieved May 2, 2023.
- "David and Tom Gardner | American entrepreneurs | Britannica". www.britannica.com. Retrieved May 2, 2023.
- "Tom Gardner | TEDxBrownUniversity". www.brown.edu. Retrieved May 2, 2023.
- Zendrian, Alexandra. "Get Briefed: Tom Gardner". Forbes. Retrieved May 2, 2023.
- Motley Fool Staff. "America Is Leading the Global Economy Above and Beyond Its Pre-Pandemic Strength". www.nasdaq.com. Retrieved July 26, 2021.
- Motley Fool Staff (May 6, 2021). "A Letter from The Motley Fool Co-Founder David Gardner". The Motley Fool. Retrieved July 26, 2021.
- "David and Tom Gardner | American entrepreneurs | Britannica".
- "Motley Fool Co-Founder David Gardner on Rule Breaker Investing, April Fool's Day Pranks, and Financial Freedom for All". April 5, 2023.
- "Testimony of Thomas M. Gardner on S7-13-00". www.sec.gov. Retrieved May 2, 2023.
- Gardner, David; Gardner, Tom (August 6, 2002). The Motley Fool Investment Guide for Teens: 8 Steps to Having More Money Than Your Parents Ever Dreamed Of. ISBN 0743229967.