Tom Green (runner)
Tom Green (65 years old as of March 25 of 2016) is an ultra-runner and the first man to complete the Grand Slam of Ultrarunning. He earned this distinction when there were only four 100 mile trail races in the United States.
He joined the Howard County Striders and is now in their hall of fame for his accomplishments. As a Strider, Tom has completed more than 175 ultramarathons.
Green is known as "grandfather of ultrarunning", and the "original ultrarunner"
He has run over 280 ultramarathons.
Green is a carpenter by trade.
In the Summer of 2014, Tom Green ran 100 miles in the Western States Endurance Run and finished in under 30 hours. He was 63 years old.
On April 20 of 2015, Green was trimming a branch from a tree and the branch fell and hit Green in the head 'like a baseball bat' Green was airlifted to a hospital and received multiple skull fractures and some inner ear damage. His carotid artery received some damage. Upon reaching the Shock Treament Center in Baltimore, Maryland, he was put into a medically induced coma for two weeks.
- "Endurance sports - Freak accident can't keep ultrarunning legend Tom Green down". Espn.go.com. 2016-03-25. Retrieved 2016-05-05.
- June 11, 2012 (2012-06-11). "The First Grand Slammer: Tom Green". Irunfar.com. Retrieved 2016-05-05.
- "Hall of Fame - Thomas Green". www.striders.net. Retrieved 2016-05-10.
- Gintzler, Ariella. "Trail Running Legend Tom Green Hospitalized". www.trailrunnermag.com. Archived from the original on 2016-05-13. Retrieved 2016-05-05.
- "Tom Green: The Unsung Icon". Trailrunnermag.com. 2015-12-01. Archived from the original on 2016-04-26. Retrieved 2016-05-05.
- "Tom Green Ultrarunner | A laid-back Columbia man is a pioneer in running races of 50 miles or longer - tribunedigital-baltimoresun". Articles.baltimoresun.com. 2007-11-21. Retrieved 2016-05-05.
- "Ultrarunning Pioneer Critically Injured". Runner's World. 2015-04-28. Retrieved 2016-05-10.
|This biographical article about an American ultramarathon runner is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|