Tom Holmes (artist)
Not to be confused with Greeley, PA sculptor of the same name.
Studio portrait of the artist Tom Holmes by Martirene Alcantara
|Born||Ozona, Texas, USA|
Holmes received a Bachelor of Fine Arts from the University of Texas at Austin in 1999, the student of Peter Saul and Linda Montano. They received a Master of Fine Arts from the University of California Los Angeles in 2002 where they studied with John Baldessari, Mary Kelly, Paul McCarthy, Lari Pittman, Pipilotti Rist and Wolfgang Tillmans.
The artist worked briefly for Richard Tuttle in 2005.
Holmes mounted their first solo museum show Temporary Monument in 2013 at the Kunsthalle Bern. Their work has been included in exhibitions at Palais de Tokyo, Paris; Contemporary Art Biennial, Sélestat, France; Malmö Konstmuseum, Sweden and the Whitney Museum at Altria, New York. Work resides in the public collections of Albright-Knox, FRAC Bourgogne, Stiftung Kunsthalle Bern, and The Frances Young Tang Museum and Art Gallery at Skidmore College.
Working within the "problems of abstraction" the artist often takes up a class-conscious cultural criticism through the genre of the funerary as well as processes derived from psychic automatism. Utilizing abstract compositional constructions and modest sculptural materials, such as concrete blocks, folding chairs, and cereal boxes, the works bear witness to the condition of the inevitable. Anne Doran writes, Holmes's work is "redolent of institutional limbos and marginal lives, with shrill bottom notes of failure and fear."
- Joan Mitchell Center
- Pollock-Krasner Foundation
- Edward F. Albee Foundation
- Reed Foundation
- Andrew Russeth, ‘Tom Holmes: Piss Yellow / Bars and Stars at Bureau, GalleristNY.com
- Boško Blagojevic, ‘Critic’s Pick: Piss Yellow / Bars and Stars’, Artforum.com
- "First Proof - Portfolio: Tom Holmes", Bomb, Fall 2013, pp. 65, 68-9.
- Whitney Museum of American Art at Altria: 25 Years. New York: Whitney Museum of American Art, 2008. Print. (ISBN 9780300139334)
- Rist, Pipilotti, Richard Julin, and Tessa Praun. Pipilotti Rist: Congratulations!Baden: Lars Müller, 2007. Print. (ISBN 978-3-03778-108-1)
- Dorfsman, Alex, and Yoshua Okon. La Panadería, 1994-2002. México, D.F.: Editorial Turner De México, 2005. Print. (ISBN 9788475066493)
- Tom Holmes is represented in NYC by BUREAU
- Dispatch http://www.dispatchbureau.com/projects/2010.holmes.html