Junod in 2019
|Children||Antonia Li Junod|
Junod worked as a writer for Esquire magazine beginning in 1997, after following editor David Granger to the magazine from GQ. He also worked for Atlanta magazine, Life, and Sports Illustrated. Junod has published award-winning pieces for several magazines. Among his notable works are The Abortionist, The Rapist Says He's Sorry, The Falling Man and a controversial 2001 piece on R.E.M. lead singer Michael Stipe, in which he satirically fabricated information for an interview that never happened. As of November 2019, he is a writer for ESPN The Magazine.
Junod is also notable for his Esquire profile of Fred Rogers. Junod has stated that his encounter with Rogers changed his perspective on life. The event is the premise of the 2019 feature film A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood. Junod also appeared in the critically acclaimed documentary Won't You Be My Neighbor? (2018).
Junod is the recipient of two National Magazine Awards from the American Society of Magazine Editors; one for a profile of John Britton, an abortion doctor, and one for a profile of a rapist undergoing therapy while enduring what is known as "civil commitment." He is also a ten-time finalist for the award.
- Carlson, Peter (26 June 2007). "Bringing Out the Worst In Celebrity Coverage?". The Washington Post. Retrieved January 30, 2010.
- Shepherd, Steven L. (2001). Our fathers: reflections by sons. Beacon Press. p. 248. ISBN 0-8070-6246-4.
- Junod, Tom (December 1995). "The Rapist Says He's Sorry". GQ. Archived from the original on September 5, 2010. Retrieved November 10, 2019.
- Junod, Tom (2003). "The Falling Man". Esquire.
- "Writer Comes Clean On Fake Stipe Profile". Billboard. May 25, 2001. Retrieved March 3, 2012.
- Van Atten, Suzanne (November 18, 2019). "How Mister Rogers changed the life of Atlanta writer Tom Junod". Atlanta. Archived from the original on November 19, 2019. Retrieved January 10, 2020.
- "Emmy-Winning Sound Mixer Dies After Fall on Set of Tom Hanks' Mr. Rogers Biopic". Variety. 2018-10-12. Retrieved October 12, 2018.
- "Mr. Rogers doc 'Wont You Be My Neighbor?' feels right for our less-than-neighborly times". CNN. June 8, 2018.
- Junod, Tom (February 1994). "The Abortionist". GQ.
- Fennell, John (2009). "The Missouri Association of Publications 5th Anniversary Publishing Summit Will Be Held March 5 and 6 in Columbia". University of Missouri Journalism School. Archived from the original on 2010-05-10.
- Junod, Tom (2010). "My Mom Couldn't Cook". Esquire.