||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (August 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Born||Los Angeles, California|
Tom Kubis is a jazz composer/arranger, woodwind player, recording artist, and band leader.
Tom was recognized in the mid-1960s as an outstanding saxophone and flute player. He performed on saxophone with such jazz greats as Frank Rosolino, Bill Watrous, Arturo Sandoval, Jack Sheldon, Pete Christlieb and Louis Bellson.
After studying 20th century composition at Long Beach State, Tom’s interests turned towards jazz composition and arranging. In addition to motion picture and television assignments, the sought after composer/arranger has worked with many outstanding jazz artists and celebrities including long time commissions with Steve Allen (seven years) and Helen Reddy (five years). Among his television credits are arranging and conducting the CBS Jackie Gleason 30 year Reunion Special and The Bob Newhart 20 Year Anniversary show.
Tom's musical arrangements and those of Bob Florence, Roger Newman and Alan Broadbent were featured at the Kennedy Center in Washington DC in Portraits of Jazz. This presentation was penned by famed composer Cy Coleman and Academy Award winners, Alan and Marilyn Bergman, with whom Tom has worked for many years. In 1993, Tom conducted his arrangements with Jack Sheldon at Carnegie Hall in New York, also his Big Band performed his arrangements for two nights at the Orange County Performing Arts Center with the Pacific Symphony Orchestra.
Tom Kubis's musical arrangements define the contemporary big band sound and have been performed at virtually every major jazz festival in the world including the Playboy Jazz Festival, the Montreaux Jazz Festival and the Berkeley Jazz Festival to name a few. His charts have been played in just about any place or city that has a big band. There are literally hundreds of CDs available where Tom's arrangements can be heard from college to professional bands.
Tom’s playing, arranging and sequencing skills have taken him all over the world for concerts and clinics. As the Los Angeles Times puts it, "His charts are crisp and swinging are finely crafted with superbly linked written passages that flow with tremendous urgency and drive". 
- Silverware: Dimitri Pagalidis (Mark 56 Records, deleted)
- Another Place Setting: Dimitri Pagalidis (Mark 56 Records, deleted)
- Slightly Off The Ground: Tom Kubis Big Band (Seabreeze CDSB 109-2)
- At Last: Tom Kubis Big Band (Cexton CR21251)
- You Just Can't Have Enough Christmas: Tom Kubis Big Band (Cexton CR21444)
- Reunion: Charles Rutherford Big Band (CD5B2044)
- Space Available: Bill Watrous Big Band (Double-Time Records DTRCD 124)
- Fast Cars,Fascinating Women: Tom Kubis Big Band (Seabreeze SB2079)
- Keep Swingin':Tom Kubis Big Band (Seabreeze SB 2090)
- With A Lot Of Help From My Friends: George Graham Big Band (Seabreeze 2089)
- A Perfect Match: Bohuslan Big Band (Norway) Real Records RT 103-2
- Yanow, Scott (2000-05-01). Swing. Hal Leonard Corporation. pp. 414–. ISBN 978-0-87930-600-7. Retrieved 7 August 2011.
- Heckman, Don (1990-07-25). "JAZZ REVIEW : Arrangements by O.C.'s Tom Kubis Energize Soloists". Retrieved 9 December 2014.