Thomas "Tom" Marr (born 17 October 1942) is an American talk radio host on WCBM (680-AM) in Baltimore, Maryland known for his political views. His radio career spans close to 45 years, mostly in Baltimore, although he has worked in other major markets during that same period of time.
Life and career
While in high school, Marr hosted a high school sports show on WWDC-AM in 1960. After graduating from Montgomery Blair High School of Silver Spring, Maryland, Marr served in the United States Marine Corps until being discharged in 1963. Marr then worked for radio stations in Rhode Island and Salisbury, Maryland then became an announcer for WTAR of Norfolk, Virginia. In 1967, Marr became a news reporter for WFBR of Baltimore and was a panelist on the call-in show Conference Call.
From 1979 to 1986, Marr was a radio play-by-play broadcaster for the Baltimore Orioles baseball team and worked for CBS Sports and other sports outlets before embarking on his talk radio career with WCBM of Baltimore in 1988. In 1996, Marr moved to Philadelphia station WWDB-FM but returned to WCBM in 1997 citing displeasure with WWDB programming structure that he said devoted too much time to commercials, traffic reports, and news updates each hour and ownership that pressured him to avoid hot-button political issues.
In the Talkers Magazine list for 2010 he was included in the top 250. He has made frequent television appearances on Fox News, CNN, MSNBC, and C-SPAN. Marr sometimes fills in on the Mark Levin Show.
- Olesker, Michael (February 29, 1996). "Voice of longevity lost with Marr's departure". The Baltimore Sun. Retrieved March 25, 2013.
- Tom Marr website – bio
- "Six golden voices of vintage radio remain on the air in Baltimore Broadcasting Success". Baltimore Sun. April 2, 1995. Retrieved March 25, 2013.
- Nortrup, Mike (April 14, 1991). "From Potholes To Politics, Marr Airs It Out On Radio". Baltimore Sun. Retrieved March 25, 2013.
- Kaltenbach, Chris (October 12, 1997). "Tom Marr returns after stint in Philadelphia Radio". Baltimore Sun. Retrieved March 25, 2013.
- Talkers Magazine – Marr is listed under "General Issues / Politics"