|Alma mater||Florida State University|
|Occupation||CEO and President, Virgin Voyages|
Thomas Michael McAlpin (born 1959 in Miami, Florida) is the president and CEO of Virgin Voyages. He previously served as president and CEO of The World, a privately owned residential ship. McAlpin also served as president of Disney Cruises, where he oversaw two cruise ships, the Disney Magic and Disney Wonder as well as Disney's private island Castaway Cay.
Early life and education
McAlpin was born in Miami, Florida in 1959. He earned his bachelor's degree in Accounting and Finance from Florida State University and a master's degree in Business Administration from the University of Miami.
In 1981, McAlpin began his career as a senior auditor for KPMG and in 1984 became the chief financial officer for the CSB Leasing Group. In 1986, he joined Royal Caribbean Cruises, Ltd. as director of Corporate Planning and Analysis and held this position for eight years.
McAlpin joined Disney Cruises as part of the founding management team in 1995 as vice president of finance, business development and shore-side travel operations. During the creation of Disney Cruises, he was responsible for planning the first two ships and negotiating the contracts for Castaway Cay. McAlpin was with the company for 14 years and served as president for the final five years of his tenure.
In July 2009, McAlpin joined ResidenSea, Ltd., the company responsible for the condo cruise ship, The World, as president and chief executive. During his five years with the company McAlpin oversaw an $11 million renovation of the ship. He resigned from his role at The World and joined Virgin Cruises as president and CEO in 2014.
- Satchell, Arlene (June 23, 2015). "Virgin Cruises Plans to Launch in Early 2020". Sun Sentinel. Retrieved January 25, 2016.
- Satchel, Arlene (October 18, 2016). "Virgin Voyages: New name, New Ships for Cruise Line". SunSentinel. Retrieved November 25, 2016.
- Merrick, Hollie-Rae (July 7, 2015). "Big Interview: Virgin Cruises President Tom McAlpin". Travel Weekly. Retrieved January 25, 2016.
- Kassab, Beth (May 13, 2007). "Little Fleet, Big Branding". Orlando Sentinel. Retrieved January 25, 2016.
- "Cruise Executive Profile-Thomas M. McAlpin". Florida Caribbean Cruise Association. Retrieved January 25, 2016.
- "Florida State University Foundation Board of Trustees" (PDF). Florida State University. Retrieved January 25, 2016.
- "Tom McAlpin, President and CEO, The World Appointed Chairman of Make-A-Wish Foundation National Board". Make a Wish. October 31, 2001. Retrieved January 25, 2016.
- Satchell, Arlene (December 5, 2014). "Virgin Cruises to Set Up Shop in South Florida". Orlando Sentinel. Retrieved January 25, 2016.
- "Summer 2015: Executive Profile:Scientific Approach". Cruise Industry News. July 16, 2015. Retrieved December 9, 2015.
- Garcia, Jason (February 14, 2009). "Familiar Face Takes Disney Cruise Line Helm: Karl Holz". Orlando Sentinel. Retrieved January 25, 2016.
- "Thomas McAlpinAppointed President and CEO, The World". Cruise Industry News. June 19, 2009. Retrieved January 25, 2016.
- "The Ultimate Lifestyle at Sea". Leaders Magazine. 2003. Retrieved January 25, 2016.
- Medina, Marisol (June 23, 2015). "Virgin Cruises Will Make Maiden Voyage in 2020". The Salt Lake Tribune. Retrieved January 25, 2016.
|This Disney-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|