|Occupation||Chief executive of Virgin Media|
He moved to Australia in 1980, working first for the Sydney Morning Herald as economics correspondent, then as an adviser for the Australian Treasurer Paul Keating. He also worked for The Australian. He joined News Limited in January 1991, where he was assistant CEO to Ken Cowley until 1996. He then became CEO of Foxtel, a post which he held for three years. Mockridge then moved to Hong Kong.
Appointed managing director of Independent Newspapers in 2001, New Zealand's largest newspaper publisher and a subsidiary of News Corporation, he was also appointed Chairman of pay TV group Sky New Zealand.
In 2002, Mockridge led the merger between Stream TV and Tele+, which resulted in the creation of Sky Italia. On completion of the merger, he was appointed CEO of Sky Italia. In 2008 Mockridge was appointed Managing Director of European Television (all News Corps TV assets outside the UK), reporting to James Murdoch. He was later appointed to the board of British Sky Broadcasting, a position he still holds.
On 17 January 2012 he appeared before the Leveson Inquiry into media ethics. He eventually backed Lord Justice Brian Leveson's recommendation that the UK set up a regulatory system for reining in the British media's worst excesses.
In December 2012 he resigned from his position as head of Murdoch's UK newspapers, having been passed over as for the new chief executive position.
- "FACTBOX-Who is Tom Mockridge?". Reuters. 15 July 2011. Retrieved 15 July 2011.
- Michelle Duff (18 July 2011). "From reporter in flares to tough-minded fix-it man". Dominion Post. Retrieved 18 July 2011.
- Amy Willis (15 July 2011). "Tom Mockridge profile: a trusted lieutenant of Murdoch's empire". Telegraph. Retrieved 15 July 2011.
- "News Corporation Names Tom Mockridge Chief Executive, European Television". News Corporation. 12 May 2008. Retrieved 15 July 2011.
- Louise Armitstead (14 July 2011). "Phone hacking: Investor group Pirc raises concerns over BSkyB". Telegraph. Retrieved 15 July 2011.
- Samira Shackle (15 July 2011). "Ed Miliband calls for the break-up of the Murdoch Empire". New Statesman. Retrieved 15 July 2011.
- "Kiwi media boss backs Leveson result". 3 News NZ. 30 November 2012.
- "Kiwi quits as Murdoch's (UK) newspaper boss". Stuff NZ. 3 December 2012.
- Deans, Jason (2013-05-08). "Tom Mockridge appointed as Virgin Media chief executive". The Guardian. Retrieved 2013-05-29.
- Ben Fenton (28 June 2010). "Sky Italia chief plays fair with Mediaset". Financial Times. Retrieved 15 July 2011.
- Virgin Media
- Profile at Bloomberg Businessweek
- "Tom Mockridge collected news and commentary". The Guardian.
| Chief Executive of Virgin Media
June 2013 -
| Chief Executive of News UK
September 2011 - December 2012
| Chief Executive of Sky Italia
2003 - 2008
|| Managing Director of Independent Newspapers
2001 - 2002
|| Chief Executive of Foxtel
1997 - 2000
|This business-related New Zealand biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a New Zealand writer or poet is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|