|Member of the Pennsylvania House of Representatives
from the 152nd district
January 2, 2007
|Preceded by||Sue Cornell|
|Residence||Upper Moreland Township|
|Service/branch||U.S. Army Reserve|
|Years of service||1990—2008|
|Unit||656th Area Support Group, and 4th Infantry Division|
Tom Murt is a native of Hatboro, Pennsylvania and graduated from Archbishop Wood High School. He has a Bachelor's degree in Economics from Penn State University and a Master's degree in Education from La Salle University. He also earned a Teaching Certificate from Gwynedd-Mercy College. He has completed graduate economics coursework at Temple University, and is currently pursuing a doctorate in education there.
Murt served in the U.S. Army Reserve from 1990 to 2008. In 2003, he was called to active duty and served for 14 months with the U.S. Army's 4th Infantry Division in Iraq. Following his deployment in Operation: Iraqi Freedom, Murt returned to the U.S. Army Reserve with the 656th Area Support Group.
Prior to elected office, he was assistant coordinator for the Counseling and Advising Center at Penn State Abington, where he also taught business classes. Murt was elected to the Upper Moreland Township Board of Commissioners in 1993 and served for ten years but resigned after he was called to active duty in the Army. He also served on the board of the Upper Moreland School District.
In 2006, Tom Murt ran for the Pennsylvania State House against incumbent Sue Cornell in the Republican primary. He benefited from voter anger over the 2005 legislative pay raise. Even though Cornell won the party endorsement and had support from other State Representatives Murt prevailed in the primary with 55% of the vote. Murt went on to defeat Democrat Michael Paston in the general election with 54% of the vote.
- "SESSION OF 2007 191ST OF THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY No. 1" (PDF). LEGISLATIVE JOURNAL. Pennsylvania House of Representatives. 2007-01-02. Retrieved 2009-01-09.
- "2006 General Election - Representative in the General Assembly". Commonwealth of PA - Elections Information. Pennsylvania Department of State. 2004. Retrieved 2009-01-09.
- "Representative Thomas P. 'Tom' Murt (PA)". Project Vote Smart. Project Vote Smart. 2008. Retrieved 2009-01-09.
- "Rep. Tom Murt Biography". Pennsylvania House Republican Caucus. 2008. Retrieved 2009-01-11.
- Tom, Waring (2006-01-26). "Cornell in for a seat fight". Northeast Times. Philly.com. Archived from the original on 2006-03-27. Retrieved 2009-01-20.
- "2006 General Primary - Representative in the General Assembly". Commonwealth of PA - Elections Information. Pennsylvania Department of State. 2004. Retrieved 2009-01-09.
- Waring, Tom (2006-05-25). "Primary shocker in the 152nd". Northeast Times. Philly.com. Archived from the original on 2006-11-28. Retrieved 2009-01-20.
- Pennsylvania House of Representatives - Thomas P. Murt official PA House website
- Pennsylvania House Republican Caucus - Representative Thomas P. Murt official Party website