August 8, 1960 |
Briarcliff Manor, New York, U.S.
|Residence||Santa Monica, California, U.S.|
|Employer||Open Road Films|
|Title||Chief executive officer|
Tom Ortenberg (born August 8, 1960) is an American businessman. He serves as the chief executive officer of Open Road Films.
Early life and career
Ortenberg was born to a Jewish family on August 8, 1960 in Briarcliff Manor, New York, Ortenberg attended Penn State University and graduated in 1982. At Penn State, Ortenberg recognized his passion for film, showing recent theatrical movies on campus to raise money for non-profit student organizations. Moving to Los Angeles, he began his film career with Columbia Pictures in 1985, and joined Hemdale Film Corporation in 1989, where he served as President of Distribution and Marketing before joining Lionsgate Films , where he was the first employee in its Los Angeles office. Ortenberg led Lionsgate's film division as it quickly grew into one of Hollywood's premiere movie studios. In 2009, he left Lionsgate to join the Weinstein company as President of Theatrical Films. In 2011 it was announced that Ortenberg would be CEO of Open Road Films a newly formed movie studio owned by theatre chains AMC Theatres and Regal Entertainment Group. In 2016, he endorsed Bernie Sanders for President of the United States.
Ortenberg lives with his wife Edie and his 3 children Jason, Andrew, and Cole in Santa Monica, California. He is a member of the Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences (AMPAS) and is a Trustee of the British Academy of Film and Television Arts (BAFTA).
- Hollywood Reporter: "'Spotlight' Executive Tom Ortenberg on Oscar Campaign Reform, Why He's "Feeling the Bern" by Pamela McClintock February 25, 2016
- "Tags: Tom Ortenberg - Penn State University". psu.edu. Retrieved 28 May 2017.
- Thompson, Anne. "How Open Road CEO Tom Ortenberg Shepherded 'Spotlight' to Oscar Frontrunner - IndieWire". blogs.indiewire.com. Retrieved 28 May 2017.
- Jr, Mike Fleming (7 March 2011). "Theater Chains AMC, Regal Launch Distribution Venture Open Road With Tom Ortenberg At Helm". deadline.com. Retrieved 28 May 2017.
- "'Spotlight' Executive Tom Ortenberg on Oscar Campaign Reform, Why He's "Feeling the Bern"". hollywoodreporter.com. Retrieved 28 May 2017.
- "Tom Ortenberg". IMDb. Retrieved 28 May 2017.
|This article about an American businessperson born in the 1960s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|