Thomas Greg Ortenberg
August 8, 1960
|Residence||Santa Monica, California, U.S.|
|Title||Chief executive officer|
Thomas Greg Ortenberg (born August 8, 1960) is an American businessman.
Early life and career
Ortenberg was born to a Jewish family on August 8, 1960 in Briarcliff Manor, New York, Ortenberg attended Penn State University and graduated in 1982. At Penn State, Ortenberg recognized his passion for film, showing recent theatrical movies on campus to raise money for non-profit student organizations. Moving to San Francisco he began his film career with Columbia Pictures in 1985 as a clerk, and joined Hemdale Film Corporation in 1989, where he served as President of Distribution and Marketing after the company filed for bankruptcy and laid off the C level officers of the company before joining Lionsgate Films , where he was the first living employee in its Los Angeles office after it's president died unexpectedly. Ortenberg led Lionsgate's film division as it quickly grew into one of Hollywood's premiere movie studios. In 2009, he left Lionsgate to join the Weinstein company as President of Theatrical Films. In 2011 it was announced that Ortenberg would be CEO of Open Road Films a newly formed movie studio owned by theatre chains AMC Theatres and Regal Entertainment Group. Open Road filed for bankruptcy on September 6, 2018. In 2016, he endorsed Bernie Sanders for President of the United States. Ortenberg left Open Road in 2017 after it was acquired by Tang Media Partners. Ortenberg then started Briarcliff Entertainment, a distribution company.
Ortenberg lives with his wife Edie and his 3 children Jason, Andrew, and Cole in Santa Monica, California. He is a member of the Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences (AMPAS) and is a Trustee of the British Academy of Film and Television Arts (BAFTA).
- "United States Public Records: Thomas Greg Ortenberg".
- Hollywood Reporter: "'Spotlight' Executive Tom Ortenberg on Oscar Campaign Reform, Why He's "Feeling the Bern" by Pamela McClintock February 25, 2016
- "Tags: Tom Ortenberg - Penn State University". psu.edu. Retrieved 28 May 2017.
- Thompson, Anne. "How Open Road CEO Tom Ortenberg Shepherded 'Spotlight' to Oscar Frontrunner - IndieWire". blogs.indiewire.com. Retrieved 28 May 2017.
- Jr, Mike Fleming (7 March 2011). "Theater Chains AMC, Regal Launch Distribution Venture Open Road With Tom Ortenberg At Helm". deadline.com. Retrieved 28 May 2017.
- "'Spotlight' Executive Tom Ortenberg on Oscar Campaign Reform, Why He's "Feeling the Bern"". hollywoodreporter.com. Retrieved 28 May 2017.
- Jr, Mike Fleming; Jr, Mike Fleming (2017-11-02). "Tom Ortenberg Exiting Open Road Films". Deadline. Retrieved 2019-01-01.
- D'Alessandro, Anthony; D'Alessandro, Anthony (2018-08-30). "How Michael Moore's 'Fahrenheit 11/9' Landed Its Release Date". Deadline. Retrieved 2019-01-01.
- "Tom Ortenberg". IMDb. Retrieved 28 May 2017.
|This article about an American businessperson born in the 1960s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|