November 10, 1968 |
Passaic, New Jersey, U.S.
|Occupation||Stand-up comedian, actor, producer, writer|
Papa was born in Passaic, New Jersey and grew up in Park Ridge, New Jersey and later Woodcliff Lake, New Jersey, where he graduated from Pascack Hills High School in 1986. He is a graduate of Rider University.
Tom Papa is a stand up comedian. He completed his fourth stand up special, "Human Mule", recorded at the Hanna Theater in Cleveland, Ohio, airing on Epix in December 2016 and will be available on Hulu, iTunes and Amazon. His last special "Freaked Out" aired on Epix and Netflix in July 2013. Tom has recorded three stand up specials for Comedy Central, the most recent of which is the one-hour stand-up special, Tom Papa Live in New York City that was shot at the Union Square Theater and directed by Rob Zombie. The special appeared on Comedy Central on January 8, 2012. Tom has thirteen appearances on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno. In 2005 he released his debut comedy album Calm, Cool, & Collected. He is a frequent guest on Late Night with Conan O'Brien and Late Show with David Letterman. His one-man show Only Human opened to rave reviews at the Montreal Just for Laughs Comedy Festival.
Tom started his stand-up career in New York City in 1993 playing open mics and hosting at the Stand Up New York comedy club. Papa got his first big break when he was hand-picked by comedian Jerry Seinfeld to perform on his tour after meeting at the Comedy Cellar in New York.
Tom is the host of the popular hit Sirius/XM radio show Come to Papa that airs on channel 99. The weekly program has attracted some of the biggest names in comedy including Mel Brooks, Ray Romano, Dick Cavett, Carl Reiner and Jerry Seinfeld. In addition to his interviews Tom also writes and performs Come to Papa Live which is a version of a classic radio play combined with standup performance, music and sketches. Come to Papa Live is performed once a month alternating between The Village Underground in New York and Largo at the Coronet in Los Angeles. Guests on Come to Papa Live have included Matt Damon, Sara Silverman, Joel Mchale, Andy Richter, Jim Gaffigan and many more. Past interviews, live shows and podcasts can be found on iTunes and Cometopapalive.com
He had a recurring role as Luff, in The Knick starring Clive Owen that aired on HBO and Cinemax. He appeared in Chris Rock's movie Top Five and starred as Ray Arnett alongside Michael Douglas and Matt Damon in Behind the Candelabra, which aired on HBO on May 26, 2013. This is his second film with director Steven Soderbergh.
Papa played opposite Matt Damon in Steven Soderbergh's 2009 film The Informant! He also played the title character of El Superbeasto and starred opposite Paul Giamatti in the Rob Zombie animated feature The Haunted World of El Superbeasto. He played himself in Comedian, and lent his voice to the animated feature Bee Movie.
Papa's other TV appearances include Inside Amy Schumer, The Jim Gaffigan Show, a recurring role on The New Adventures of Old Christine, hosting the FOX show Boom! which aired in summer 2015, VH1's I Love the '70s, I Love the '80s, and I Love the '90s series, National Geographic Channel's US version of the British game show Duck Quacks Don't Echo.
- Analyze That (2002)
- Comedian (2002)
- The Life Coach (2005)
- Bee Movie (2007)
- The Haunted World of El Superbeasto (2009) (also writer)
- The Informant! (2009)
- Behind the Candelabra (2013)
- Top Five (2015)
- Comedy Central Presents (2001 and 2007)
- Tough Crowd with Colin Quinn (Unknown episodes, 2002)
- Come to Papa (4 episodes, 2004)
- The New Adventures of Old Christine (2 episodes, 2008)
- The Marriage Ref (2010)
- The Tonight Show with Jay Leno
- The Nightly Show with Larry Wilmore
- Late Night with David Letterman
- Late Night with Conan O'Brien
- Jimmy Kimmel Live!
- Behind the Candelabra (2013)
- Duck Quacks Don't Echo (2014)
- Inside Amy Schumer (2015)
- The Jim Gaffigan Show (2015)
- The Knick (US TV series) (2014–)
- Boom! (2015)
- The Late Show with Stephen Colbert (2016)
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (March 2012)
- Calm, Cool, & Collected (BSeenMedia, 2005)
- Tom Papa - Live in New York City (Comedy Central Records, 2012)
- Freaked Out - (2013)
- "Behind the Candelabra". HBO. 2013.
- "EPIX "Comedy Unbound" Summer Season Continues with Tom Papa". The New York Times. June 27, 2013.
- Roura, Phil. "Tom Papa enjoys his gig as host of Seinfeld-created show 'Marriage Ref,' but standup's not so bad", Daily News (New York), February 20, 2011. Accessed June 24, 2015. "Born in Passaic, N.J., in 1972 and raised in Woodcliff Lake, he is a graduate of Rider University and now lives in the West Village with his wife and their two daughters — often preparing his bigger shows at the Comedy Cellar and the Gotham Comedy Club."
- Tom Papa headlines for sister’s benefit, Pascack Valley Community Life, May 26, 2011, backed up by the Internet Archive as of December 13, 2013. Accessed June 24, 2015. "Tom Papa, a Pascack Hills graduate and the host of the TV show The Marriage Ref, which will air its second season in June, is known for his appearances on The Late Show with David Letterman, The Tonight Show with Jay Leno, and Late Night with Conan O'Brien, on Comedy Central with his own comedy specials, and appearances on The New Adventures of Old Christine."
- Rohan, Virginia. "Bergen County native Tom Papa has a new game show", The Record (Bergen County), June 24, 2015. Accessed June 24, 2015. "'We're just creating that in a playful way, but it actually creates very real stakes and real tension,' says Papa, who grew up in Park Ridge and Woodcliff Lake, on the phone with his hometown paper a few hours after the teleconference."
- Rohan, Virginia (3 March 2010). "North Jersey native Tom Papa makes the call on married couples' spats in a new comedy show". NorthJersey.com. Retrieved 20 March 2012.