|Occupation||Stand-up comedian, actor, producer, writer, Author, TV/Radio Host|
Thomas Papa (born November 10, 1968) is an American stand-up comedian, actor, writer, author, producer, and television/radio host. His book Your Dad Stole My Rake: And Other Family Dilemmas was a number one new release on Amazon. He hosts the show 'Baked' on the Food Network and is head writer for the radio variety show Live from Here, hosted by Chris Thile.
Papa was born in Passaic, New Jersey and grew up in Park Ridge, New Jersey and later Woodcliff Lake, New Jersey, where he graduated from Pascack Hills High School in 1986. He is a graduate of Rider University.
He began in New York City in 1993 playing open mics and hosting at the Stand Up New York comedy club. He toured with Jerry Seinfeld after meeting him at the Comedy Cellar in New York. In 2005 he released his debut comedy album Calm, Cool, & Collected. His successful one-man show Only Human opened at the Montreal Just for Laughs Comedy Festival.
He has recorded three stand up specials for Comedy Central. The most recent, Tom Papa Live in New York City, directed by Rob Zombie, aired on 8 January 2012 and was shot at the Union Square Theater. His third special, Freaked Out, aired in July 2013. He completed his fourth special, Human Mule, in December 2016. Papa has appeared thirteen times on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno. He was a frequent guest on Late Night with Conan O'Brien and Late Show with David Letterman.
Papa hosted the Sirius/XM radio show Come to Papa on channel 99, with guests including Mel Brooks, Ray Romano, Dick Cavett, Carl Reiner and Jerry Seinfeld. He writes and performs the monthly Come to Papa Live, a version of a classic radio play combined with standup, music, and sketches. Come to Papa Live is alternately hosted between The Village Underground in New York and Largo in Los Angeles. Guests on Come to Papa Live have included Matt Damon, Sarah Silverman, Joel Mchale, Andy Richter, and Jim Gaffigan. Tom first appeared as a panelist on NPR's "Wait Wait...Don't tell Me" on June 30, 2018. He appeared as the guest for The Official Podcast on YouTube on August 30, 2018.  Since Chris Thile took over A Prairie Home Companion from Garrison Keilor, Papa has been a key contributor to the show, now re-named 'Live From Here', including the regular segment "Out in America with Tom Papa" and his work behind the scenes as head writer.
Papa had a recurring role as Luff in the HBO and Cinemax series The Knick, starring Clive Owen. He appeared in Chris Rock's movie Top Five, and starred as Ray Arnett alongside Michael Douglas and Matt Damon in Behind the Candelabra, which aired on HBO on May 26, 2013. This is his second film with director Steven Soderbergh.
Papa played opposite Matt Damon in Steven Soderbergh's 2009 film The Informant!. He also played the title character of El Superbeasto and starred opposite Paul Giamatti in the Rob Zombie animated feature The Haunted World of El Superbeasto. He played himself in Comedian, and lent his voice to the animated feature Bee Movie.
Papa's other TV appearances include Inside Amy Schumer, The Jim Gaffigan Show, a recurring role on The New Adventures of Old Christine, hosting the FOX show Boom! which aired in summer 2015, VH1's I Love the '70s, I Love the '80s, and I Love the '90s series, National Geographic Channel's US version of the British game show Duck Quacks Don't Echo.
- Analyze That (2002)
- Comedian (2002)
- The Life Coach (2005)
- Bee Movie (2007)
- The Haunted World of El Superbeasto (2009) (also writer)
- The Informant! (2009)
- Behind the Candelabra (2013)
- Top Five (2015)
- Comedy Central Presents (2001 and 2007)
- Tough Crowd with Colin Quinn (Unknown episodes, 2002)
- Come to Papa (4 episodes, 2004)
- The New Adventures of Old Christine (2 episodes, 2008)
- The Marriage Ref (2010)
- The Tonight Show with Jay Leno
- The Nightly Show with Larry Wilmore
- Late Night with David Letterman
- Late Night with Conan O'Brien
- Jimmy Kimmel Live!
- Behind the Candelabra (2013)
- Duck Quacks Don't Echo (2014)
- Inside Amy Schumer (2015)
- The Jim Gaffigan Show (2015)
- The Knick (US TV series) (2014–)
- Boom! (2015)
- The Late Show with Stephen Colbert (2016)
- Baked with Tom Papa (2018-)
- The Official Podcast (2018)
- Calm, Cool, & Collected (BSeenMedia, 2005)
- Tom Papa - Live in New York City (Comedy Central Records, 2012)
- Freaked Out - (2013)
- Human Mule (2016)
- "Behind the Candelabra". HBO. 2013.
- "EPIX "Comedy Unbound" Summer Season Continues with Tom Papa". The New York Times. June 27, 2013.
- Roura, Phil. "Tom Papa Enjoys His Gig as Host of Seinfeld-created Show, 'Marriage Ref,' But Standup's Not So Bad", Daily News (New York), February 20, 2011. Accessed June 24, 2015.
- Tom Papa Headlines for Sister’s Benefit, Pascack Valley Community Life, May 26, 2011, [backed up by the Internet Archive as of December 13, 2013]. Accessed June 24, 2015.
- Rohan, Virginia. "Bergen County Native Tom Papa Has a New Game Show", The Record (Bergen County), June 24, 2015. Accessed June 24, 2015.
- "'Wait Wait' For June 30, 2018 With Not My Job Guest Fabien Cousteau". Retrieved 22 July 2018.
- Rohan, Virginia (3 March 2010). "North Jersey native Tom Papa makes the call on married couples' spats in a new comedy show". NorthJersey.com. Retrieved 20 March 2012.
- Duck Quacks Don't Echo,