Tom Parker (information security)
Tom Parker is an English author, vulnerability researcher and computer security professional. He has been performing vulnerability research and providing information security expertise to the financial services, petrochemical and software development domains and to large local and federal governments since the mid 1990s.
In 2000 Parler founded a security consulting company, Global InterSec, to do software security research, and increase awareness of software security vulnerabilities throughout the public and private sectors. He is now a consulting practice director at a Washington DC-based security consulting firm, Securicon LLC . Its clients include large power generation and petrochemical organizations, as well as the US Federal Government.
Parker is a member of the information security community and is frequently contacted by the media for comments on cybersecurity topics.                 . He is also engaged in discussions about the development of improved regulatory compliance and furthering Cyber Security initiatives.
Parker has authored or co-authored the following works:
- Cyber Adversary Characterization – Auditing the Hacker Mind: Syngress publishing (ISBN 1-931836-11-6)
- Stealing the Network – How to Own a Continent: Syngress publishing (ISBN 1-931836-05-1)
- Stealing the Network – How to Own an Identity: Syngress publishing (ISBN 1-59749-006-7)
- The Register - Cybersecurity Law Would Give Feds Unprecedented Net Control. April 2009
- The Register - Web Maven Gives Convicted Botmaster Keys to New Kingdom. March 2009.
- The Register - Obama urged to create White House Cyber Security Chief. December 2008
- The Register - Facebook Summarily Denies Undeniable User-Menacing Security Hole. August 2008.
- The Register - World's biggest ISPs drag feet on critical DNS patch. July 2008.
- CIO Today - Malware Writers Eye Virtual Servers. September 2007.
- Network World - Virtualization security needed – now! August 2007.
- Secure Computing Magazine - Web 2.0 Security.[permanent dead link] August 2007.
- Convergencia Latina - Seguridad! Archived 2011-07-08 at the Wayback Machine. January 2007.
- Info World - Shielding Web Services from Attack. Archived 2008-07-20 at the Wayback Machine. November 2006.
- Cisco Press - A Student-Hacker Showdown at the Collegiate Cyber Defense Competition. March 2006.
- Government Computer News - Information warfare: The need to know your enemy. Archived 2008-10-11 at the Wayback Machine. January 2006.
- Federal Computer Week - Experts: Countries make dangerous cyber adversaries. January 2006.
- Info World - New worm and phishing scam hits AIM, Yahoo IM. Archived 2006-04-26 at the Wayback Machine. May 2005.
- The Register - Security bugs take a bite out of Apple. December 2004.
- The Register - Auditing the Hacker Mind. March 2004.
- Yahoo - Blaster worm confounds home users, variant emerges Archived 2006-05-17 at the Wayback Machine.. August 2003.
- ZDNet - What the feds really think about cybersecurity. August 2002.