Tom R. Ferguson
Tom R. Ferguson (born December 20, 1950) is an American former professional rodeo cowboy. He was the Professional Rodeo Cowboys Association (PRCA) World All-Around Cowboy Champion for six consecutive years from 1974 to 1979 breaking the previous mark of five consecutive titles held by Larry Mahan. He was also the 1974 World Tie-Down Roping Champion and the World Steer Wrestling Champion in 1977 and 1978. In 1999, he was inducted into the ProRodeo Hall of Fame.
Born in Tahlequah, Oklahoma, United States, on December 20, 1950, Tom Ferguson moved to California at the age of 3 and was later chosen for the California Polytechnic State University rodeo team. The team took home multiple National Intercollegiate Rodeo Association championships, before Ferguson turned professional and returned to Miami, Oklahoma, in 1973. He joined the Rodeo Cowboys Association (RCA), which later renamed itself to the Professional Rodeo Cowboys Association (PRCA).
Though Larry Mahan was the first to have six world all-around titles, Ferguson won six consecutively. The 5-foot-11 Native American rodeo cowboy specialized in calf roping and steer wrestling. In 1994, Ty Murray broke Mahan's and Ferguson's record of six titles and tied Ferguson's record of having won six titles consecutively. In 1998, Murray won his seventh title, surpassing both of them and holding the record for all-around titles at seven titles. In 2010, Trevor Brazile won his eighth all-around title, surpassing them all. In 2018, Brazile won his 14th all-around title.
In his first year as a professional rodeo cowboy, Ferguson came in second in the National Finals Rodeo (NFR) in the All-Around Cowboy event. He accumulated more than $1 million in his rodeo career and was among the first rodeo cowboys to hire a manager.
In 1974, he won the World Tie-Down Roping championship and came second in the Steer Wrestling event. In 1976 he won the World Steer Wrestling Championship. Ferguson retired from rodeo in the late 1980s.
- 1999 ProRodeo Hall of Fame
- 1997 Ellensburg Rodeo Hall of Fame
- 1974 Rodeo Hall of Fame of the National Cowboy and Western Heritage Museum
- The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture by the Oklahoma Historical Society
- "Ferguson, Thomas". The Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture. www.okhistory.org. Retrieved January 2, 2018.
- "Kings of Rodeo II". www.indianrodeonews.com. Archived from the original on April 14, 2012. Retrieved 18 May 2017.
- "PRCA World Champions (Historical)". prorodeo.com. Retrieved 30 May 2017.
- "Trevor Brazile wins 14th all-around title in final NFR". Las Vegas Review-Journal. December 16, 2018. Retrieved February 25, 2019.
- "Tom Ferguson". Pro Rodeo Hall of Fame. www.prorodeohalloffame.com. Retrieved 2 January 2018.
- "Tom Ferguson | Ellensburg Rodeo Hall of Fame". erhof.com. Retrieved 18 May 2017.
- "Rodeo Hall of Fame Inductees - National Cowboy & Western Heritage Museum". National Cowboy & Western Heritage Museum. Retrieved 10 April 2017.