Rockliff training with Brisbane Lions in 2008
|Full name||Thomas Rockliff|
|Date of birth||22 February 1990|
|Place of birth||Lismore, New South Wales, Australia|
|Original team(s)||Murray Bushrangers (TAC Cup)|
|Draft||No. 5, 2009 Pre-Season Draft, Brisbane Lions|
|Height / weight||185cm / 85kg|
|Current club||Brisbane Lions|
|2009–||Brisbane Lions||134 (71)|
1 Playing statistics correct to the end of 2016.
|Sources: AFL Tables, AustralianFootball.com|
Thomas "Tom" Rockliff (born 22 February 1990) is an Australian rules footballer playing for the Brisbane Lions in the Australian Football League (AFL). In 2008 Rockliff, a medium-sized, smart and creative forward, was the leading goalkicker in the TAC Cup with 59 goals and won the Murray Bushrangers' Best and Fairest award, but was overlooked in the main draft. He was, however, drafted by the Brisbane Lions with the fifth selection in the 2009 pre-season draft. He is now known as one of the greatest draft steals in recent AFL history. He served as the captain of the Brisbane Lions from 2015 to 2016.
2009: Brisbane Lions rookie season
He made his debut in Round 18 2009 against Collingwood, this was the only game Rockliff played for the year. He picked up only five possessions as Brisbane lost by 40 points.
Rockliff forced his way back into the senior Brisbane Lions side in Round 3, 2010 where he has since featured predominantly in the midfield rotation. He received an AFL Rising Star nomination in Round 13, 2010 and despite being heavily favoured to win the award, finished third behind winner Dan Hannebery and Tom Scully in the end of year voting.
2011: club champion
After an incredible season with the Lions, who finished 15th on the ladder after only managing four wins, Rockliff ended the season averaging 27.7 disposals, 5.6 marks and 5.4 tackles per game. Rockliff was rewarded by winning the club's best and fairest award over favourite Simon Black, who also had a strong season.
2014: rise to elite
In 2014 Rockliff established himself as one of the elite midfielders of the competition, averaging a league-high 32.7 disposals and 9.1 tackles a game and recording 40 or more disposals five times. In Round 18 in the Q-Clash against Gold Coast, Rockliff gathered a career high 47 Disposals (31 kicks and 16 handballs) as well as 10 tackles. Rockliff was awarded his second Merrett-Murray Medal as Brisbane's best and fairest player. Rockliff was also selected in the 2014 All-Australian Team on the Interchange after his remarkable season that was recognised.
- Statistics are correct to the end of the 2016 season
|Led the league after season and finals|
|Totals||Averages (per game)|
Honours and achievements
- Merrett–Murray Medal (Brisbane Best & Fairest): 2011, 2014
- All-Australian: 2014
- Marcus Ashcroft Medal: 2012 (Round 4)
- AFL Rising Star Nominee: 2010 (Round 13)
- Australian Representative Honours in International Rules Football: 2014, 2015
- Murray star Tom Rockliff left out in cold
- Lions take on rookie Adam Spackman
- Tom Rockliff set for Brisbane Lions debut against Collingwood
- Rockliff earns Rising Star nod
- Shining light in rocky season for Brisbane Lions, The Daily Telegraph, 28 August 2010
- Hannebery crowned rising star
- Whiting, Michael (5 September 2014). "Rocky's road leads to second best and fairest".
- Hamilton, Andrew (29 January 2015). "Tom Rockliff named new Brisbane Lions captain for 2015". Fox Footy. Retrieved 29 January 2015.
- "Tom Rockliff Stats". AFL Tables. Retrieved 18 October 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Tom Rockliff.|